Roberto Benigni's Pinocchio?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Aug 20, 2002.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I just saw the trailer to this and it looks absolutely charming. I don't know if it's screened anywhere yet (it opens in December), but I'm looking forward to hearing more about it. I know it stars Benigni as Pinocchio (not Geppetto, as I originally assumed) and his wife Nicoletta Braschi (swoon, "princepessa") as the Blue Fairy. It looks like it could be a delightful children's movie with an appeal to adults who have goofy inner children close to the surface.
    I know that Benigni has a built-in "ick" factor with many people, so I expect to hear bad things, which I plan to take with a grain of salt until I get a better handle on what he's trying to do here, and the viewpoint of the reviewers. I like Benigni and loved Life Is Beautiful, which causes (probably understandable) convulsions of disgust in some.
    I found the trailer to Pinocchio here:
    http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/Pino...0/trailers.php
    (Disclaimer: Um, I may not have spelled "princepessa" correctly)

2. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

I am looking forward to this one. After all, Roberto Benigni is "the national treasure of Italy". [​IMG] The less I know about this film, the better.
    ~Edwin

3. Tony_Faville

Tony_Faville Supporting Actor

Looking forward to this one as well. Would like to see it in theaters but if they release it dubbed, I will wait for the DVD to view it with the Italian track.

4. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit

Having only seen Life is Beautiful from Beningi, I'm curious to learn exactly what this "ick" factor is all about!

5. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

Whew! Thanks guys! Glad to see others are looking forward to seeing (or hearing more about) this one.
    Tony, I agree with you about dubbing. No movie should ever be dubbed.
    Edwin, were you quoting something specific? (I would have thought either Sophia Loren or Alberto Tomba were the national treasures.) [​IMG]

6. Edwin Pereyra

Edwin Pereyra Producer

7. Mark Kalzer

Mark Kalzer Second Unit