What's new

Roberto Benigni as "Pinnochio" (1 Viewer)

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I would post the entire review from my local paper, but I don't think that's allowed. It's pretty funny actually. The main word used is "creepy." How anyone expected anything with a man of that age trying to be a "boy" to NOT be creepy (and not in the good way the story should be creepy) is beyond me.
Actually, I just post a link to it.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Interesting. The review says this:

He is fleeced by con men and hanged (Hanged? Yes, hanged. Did we mention it is creepy?). He is worked almost to death for the sake of Gepetto. And of course he is turned into a donkey and swallowed by a whale.
Those things are in the original story, so if they're considered creepy, then the original story is creepy.

Brenton

Screenwriter
Those things are in the original story, so if they're considered creepy, then the original story is creepy.
That's right. If I remember correctly, in the original story, the hanging actually kills him, until the Blue Fairy magically revives him and gives him some medicine that he tries to get out of taking.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but...
Just because something is in the source material, that doesn't mean it's something that would necessarily translate well into a visual medium.
Let Peter Jackson take a look at Collodi's weirdo tale. :)

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
Those of you ready to piss on Miramax for dubbing the movie seem blissfully unaware that the movie was lambasted by the critics in Italy as well.

This is not a hidden masterpiece ruined by a studio's interference. It's just a bad movie.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Those of you ready to piss on Miramax for dubbing the movie seem blissfully unaware that the movie was lambasted by the critics in Italy as well.
That's not the point. I would fight just as hard against the dubbing of Battlefield Earth. No film should be dubbed, EVER, PERIOD.

Eric Carter

Auditioning
Miramax opens the original Italian version of PINOCCHIO in New York and LA on Feb. 7th. It *is* Italy's official submission for the Foreign Language Film Oscar, after all...

Eric

JonathanG

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
Miramax opens the original Italian version of PINOCCHIO in New York and LA on Feb. 7th. It *is* Italy's official submission for the Foreign Language Film Oscar, after all...

Eric

Does Italy really think this is their best movie of 2002?? I shook my head in disbelief as to why this was the highest grossing film in Italy of last year - this film ranked in my top ten worst movies of 2002.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
well opening this old thread. the dvd has both the Italian longer version with both Italian and an english dub. on a separate dvd.
the cut version is on the other dvd.

the english dub is just awful. the gepetto(sp) voice is unlistenable.
the Pinocchio voice is a young boy and is just bizarre with benigni as the Pinocchio. the Italian language track is very good.

but i've watched 1 and a half hours of the 2 hrs and am having trouble finishing it.

i just dont get it.

in the beginning and throughout the movie he is called a puppet but he appears as real as anyone else the movie.

so was this supposed to be true to the source material.
if it was it will keep me from ever reading the book.

is the Cricket like this in the book.

he looked like a butler from the old my favorite martion show.
meaning he just looked like a very small butler with antenae coming out of his head.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks