What's new

Robert Zohn named CE Pro 2020 Master (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Congrats Robert.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to read the article without a subscription.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Here's a reprint of the article:
Robert Zohn, President, Value Electronics

One of the depressing parts of COVID-19 is that it has deprived the entire industry of the 2020 King of TV Shootout that declares the best TV display in the industry. The shootout is the brainchild of Robert Zohn, owner of Value Electronics in Scarsdale, N.Y., and it epitomizes Zohn’s enthusiasm for high-performance visuals, which began at a very early age when he got a full-blown darkroom for his 12th birthday.

“As a young child, I was always interested in storytelling, photography, science and art,” he recalls. “I would process and print those pictures very creatively and artistically. So I used the science and my art skills to create some really wonderful photography.”

That passion led him to open a custom photo lab, followed by a stint in broadcast TV engineering, designing systems for broadcasters to bring live news back to the headquarters and to transmit the video over microwave radio circuits. During that timeframe, the transition from analog to digital TV occurred.

“I was so enthusiastic at the improved picture quality and the inclusion of advanced audio formats that I wanted to open up an integration company that would exploit and bring out all the premium value,” recalls Zohn. So, Value Electronics was born in 1998 as a CE retailer and custom electronics installation company.

The company’s King of TV Shootout started in 2004 and is normally held every June, when it brings together many of the top video scientists in the industry, including Joel Silver and Joe Kane, to name a few. Those expert judges, along with the public, rate the newest large TV displays for dynamic range, color saturation, color accuracy and motion resolution.

“The idea behind the TV Shootout evaluation event was to put the world’s best premium TVs from the premium manufacturers up against each other to have experts and the public vote on the parameters of HDTV picture quality in standard and dynamic range to bring out the best of that new category. It was instantly very successful among enthusiasts in audio and video and, respectfully, the wealthy,” says Zohn.

“I like educating people. I like spreading my hobby to others. I like ensuring that people get the very best performance out of their systems,” he comments. That desire has led Zohn to become a leading advocate in online forums — correcting misinformation and disseminating correct technical information — and a speaker at CES and other events.

Zohn says dedication to the video craft and to premium high-end AV, along with unbridled enthusiasm, are keys to success in the industry.

“This is my little niche in the world, and I’m very enthusiastic and I like sharing it. I want other people to get that same experience. When we watch movies at home, we want to have an experience. We should have the right field of view, distance from the screen and the best audio performance. When my wife and are watching a romantic comedy movie at home, I swear to you she still reaches out to hold hands with me. You feel romantic. So we all need to get the best out of this great entertainment category,” he advises.

“If audio, video or electronics is a passion for you, follow your dream and always add value. Don’t be to open up an integration company that would exploit and bring out all the premium value,” recalls Zohn. So, Value Electronics was born in 1998 as a CE retailer and custom electronics installation company.

The company’s King of TV Shootout started in 2004 and is normally held every June, when it brings together many of the top video scientists in the industry, including Joel Silver and Joe Kane, to name a few. Those expert judges, along with the public, rate the newest large TV displays for dynamic range, color saturation, color accuracy and motion resolution.

“The idea behind the TV Shootout evaluation event was to put the world’s best premium TVs from the premium manufacturers up against each other to have experts and the public vote on the parameters of HDTV picture quality in standard and dynamic range to bring out the best of that new category. It was instantly very successful among enthusiasts in audio and video and, respectfully, the wealthy,” says Zohn.

Even industry leaders like Zohn have mentors. He credits his parents, particularly his mom, for molding his success.

“My mom was a wonderful person, very charitable, kind and forward-thinking. She was also very detail-oriented, and interested in striving for your best in life,” he says fondly. Others along the way who influenced Zohn include his uncle Henry Rosenfeld, a former store manager from his early retail days named Donald Hagermiller, and three preeminent video scientists — Joel Silver, Joe Kane and Stacey Spears — along with Sony chief technologist Taka-san.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@Robert_Zohn - Thanks for sharing this. The article appears to have overlapped itself towards the end but there's enough here to clearly convey they picked the right guy for this distinguished honor.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
Congratulations, Mr. Zohn. This is well-deserved.
We appreciate your expertise and fantastic support.
Our most recent TV purchase from you was the best experience ever with a vendor, and not coincidentally, the best TV we have owned.

SteveS

Auditioning
Congrats Robert!
IMG_2177.JPG

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Steve, you win the custom integration award with premium multi-channel audio with the a/v components built-into your 88" 8K Hi-Vision HDR TV. You designed and built the design standard for this beautiful system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexisMori
Recent bookmarks