What's new

Robert Wise: 1914-2005 (1 Viewer)

Peter Winton

Auditioning
Such careful attention to detail - one of the true greats. I'm really sorry to hear the news - his work will always stand the test of time.

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
What? No mention of Star!, the film he did with Julie Andrews in 1968?

A very sad day indeed, as he directed The Sound of Music, Star Trek: The Motion Picture, The Day the Earth Stood Still, and The Andromeda Strain, as well as Star! among others.

He was definately one of our greatest directors, and I'm shocked to hear of his passing. He will be missed, no doubt about it.

Ray Faiola

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ray Faiola
I have 16mm prints of the following pictures that Wise is known to have worked on:

OF HUMAN BONDAGE
THE GAY DIVORCEE
TOP HAT
THE INFORMER
THE STORY OF VERNON AND IRENE CASTLE
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME
MY FAVORITE WIFE
DANCE, GIRLD, DANCE
CITIZEN KANE
ALL THAT MONEY CAN BUY
MY FAVORITE WIFE
THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS
THE FALLEN SPARROW
THE CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE
THE BODY SNATCHER
BORN TO KILL
BLOOD ON THE MOON
THE SET-UP
SO BIG
HELEN OF TROY

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
:frowning:

I have West Side Story in my changer right now. I'll finish watching it tonight.

Damn, the director of some of my favorite films and his death probably won't get half the attention as Bob Denver's. (Nothing against Denver, but I think his contribution to cinema hardly rates next to Wise's).

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
"Today, All Day I Had This Feeling....A Miracle Would Happen."

Good Night, Fellow Hoosier.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Very sad news. The man's got a great body of work. :frowning:

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
The Day The Earth Stood Still is a timeless classic of a science fiction film. I recommend it to anyone who likes science fiction even a little bit. This probably isn't the most popular choice, but that's my favourite of his films, although I like The Sound Of Music too. I don't much like films from the 50s. Generally, I like movies from the 70s and onward, but The Day The Earth Stood Still is awesome, and much more intelligent, thoughtful, and emotionally stimulating than many other science fiction movies that have been made in the decades since it came out. The movie has some terrific (also timeless) sets and costumes in it as well.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
My opinion of the reason why Wise was so great is that HE WAS A TALENTED, BUT ALSO A KIND AND GENUINELY MODEST MAN who checked whatever ego he had at the door when he began a new film. He was able to produce classics in all genres without resorting to being an asshole or prima donna (read: Michael Bay). His actors loved him because he was simply a gentleman. I suppose everyone has his/her own style, but I look at the results of Mr. Wise's work and can't help but wonder why so many directors, living and deceased, have felt they had to be such arrogant pricks while still producing mediocre or bad movies when Wise was able, with a soft spokenness that should be the envy of us all, to make such memorable classics. He may not have had a unique, identifiable visual style, but he made superb films, and his worst efforts will outlast the best of many an arrogant contemporary director.

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
Dick, you wrote:

AMEN to that! :D :emoji_thumbsup:

One aspect of Robert Wise that is a little lesser-known was the fact he was one of the main editoss on Citizen Kane. It's said that Orson Welles strongly approved of Wise's editing work on this masterpiece.

Shaughan

Stunt Coordinator
I had the honor of meeting Robert Wise and discussing his work with him at length in the mid 90s. What really struck me about him was his humility and his passion for discussing any and all aspects of his career. He was never willing to admit to any level of high art in his work. He always attributed any greatness in his work to others that worked on the films. And he was desperately embarrased by Star Trek TMP.

I was deeply humbled by this man's approach to his work and his ready ability to give credit to the others that collaborated with him. He epitomized the line from the Bold and the Beautiful: "To be a good director, you must have humility."

I think it would serve many young directors today to examine the effects of this great artist's humility.

Thank you, Mr. Wise, for the legacy that you have given us all.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I'm in the middle of my own mini Robert Wise film fest, watching all of the Robert Wise movies that I own, plus a couple from Netflix. I've done West Side Story and The Day the Earth Stood Still so far and I'm in the middle of The Haunting (Still one of the best ghost stories ever filmed).

Coming Up:
Star Trek: The Motion Picture
Run Silent Run Deep
The Andromeda Strain
Citizen Kane

and via Netflix:
The Hindenburg
The Sand Pebbles

GeorgePaul

Second Unit
A great man as well as a great director. His legacy will live as a shining example to Hollywood of the excellence of film made with humility.

That's something that town doesn't get now--and may never will. RIP Mr. Wise...you'll live in my signature forever.

RodneyT

Stunt Coordinator
One of the most profoundly astounding films in Citizen Kane, the greatest musical ever made in Sound of Music, and a precurser to War Of The Worlds in The Day The Earth Stood Still. Mr Wise, I thankyou for the memories your wonderful movies provide me. You shall be missed.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I've already posted a comment honoring Robert, and I hope no one will think I'm trying to take anything away from his legacy if I mention that the source material for The War of the Worlds predates that of The Day the Earth Stood Still by over 50 years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks