Robert Plant - Mighty Rearranger

Discussion in 'Music' started by Brian L, May 26, 2005.

1. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

A couple things about Robert's new release....

First I like this CD...a lot. Certainly some Zep echos here and there (particularly some of the drum beats sound as though they were sampled from Bonzo), but I do not consider any of that a bad thing. And being Robert, the usual Middle Eastern sounds are also present and accounted for.

There are some very interesting and unusual (to me) sounds on this CD. Some industrial sounding drums here and there, and some deliberate low-fi sounds, but the soundstage is huge, and there is some decent low end.

Sound quality overall while good, is not great. And it may just be me, but the sound quality gets better as the tracks play on. The first few are not that great, but about 1/2 way in, I was a lot happier with the SQ.

Next, there is a re-mix of "Shine it all around" that comes in after track 12 "Brother Ray" fades out. Brother Ray is listed on the back cover as being a bit under 2 minutes, but the track actually plays for over 8. It still says its on track 12, but it appears to be a new track. Cool!

And, if you buy at Target, there is an insert with a code for a free downloaded track. Well no soup for me! I followed the steps, but when I started to download, I got a new window open with nothing in it. When I closed and tried again, it says I already downloaded the track.

Oh well, its a WMA track, and being an iPod/iTunes kind of guy, it would have been pretty much useless to me anyway.

Lastly, if anyone else has this, my CD booklet only has lyrics for 4 songs. Did I get hosed?

Brian

2. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes

I don't think so. He has done this before. There were lyrics for only some songs on Now and Zen as well. Don't know what the logic is.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

So ... if I liked his 1st 3 (the 1st 2 a lot), didn't like Now and Zen at all (too formulaic for me), and didn't get anything of his after that, and my fave Zep lps are Houses of the Holy, Physical Graffiti, and Presence, do you think I should I take a chance on this one? [​IMG]

4. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

I have not listened to his earlier solo stuff for a while, so I can't help you there, but having just listened to "Walking Into Clarksdale" for the first time in years, I can say this:

If you like Robert Plant in general, and his work with Zep/Page in particular, there are probably enough echo's of that on Mighty Rearranger to keep you happy.

If, on the other hand, you have had your fill of North African/Middle Eastern influences, as well as those drum parts that make you swear that Bonzo is back from the dead, than maybe it won't work for you.

But for me, this one is firing on all cylinders, and maybe is my favorite Plant solo project to date.

Maybe checking out some samples on iTunes would give you enough of a taste to know if you would like the whole meal?

BGL

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for it. You haven't steered me wrong yet...