What's new

Robert Morse, star of How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying dies at 90 (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Dammit. Another great talent gone.

:(

For me, I actually knew Robert Morse as Bert Cooper first. Although it was a supporting role, he brought such color and specificity to everything he did on Mad Men that made him especially interesting to watch.

Then I saw How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying. I wish that movie had retained more of the terrific songs in the Broadway score. But it is still a great adaptation and a blessing that he got to preserve a version of his Tony-winning role as Finch for all time.

Rest In Peace, sir.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
For me, I actually knew Robert Morse as Bert Cooper first. Although it was a supporting role, he brought such color and specificity to everything he did on Mad Men that made him especially interesting to watch.

Yeah, on a great show with a great ensemble of actors, Morse still managed to stand out from the crowd.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Robert Morse was one of those eccentric talents who could steal focus by a raised eyebrow or crook of a grin. Always enjoyed him and glad he got to put his Finch on film. A dear friend got to see him as the Wizard in Wicked in San Francisco before he was replaced by Joel Grey for Broadway. I'll bet he was sensational in that part.

A one-of-a-kind talent. R.I.P.

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
A one-of-a-kind talent. R.I.P.
He really was. I love the stolen shots of him in Succeed dancing down the street in Manhattan while passersby wonder who the lunatic is.

One day in May 1990, I saw 2 Broadway shows in 1 day; it's the only time I've ever done that. In the evening I saw City of Angels. The only things that I really remember about it are the remarkable sets and lighting (part of it set in "real life" and part of it in a black-and-white film). But the matinee I saw was Tru. I remember that Morse as Truman Capote was mesmerizing; it was quite a transformation and performance.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Robert was very good in The Loved One (1965) and a great film too. Rest in Peace.

1650583385162.png

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
After I moved out of NY, in one of my visits, I did the same thing @cinefan did. Two shows I went to see were the fabulous City of Angels and the versatile J. Pierrepoint Finch as Tru.
What a talent! Mad Men was elevated by his presence.
RIP.

Real Name
James
I saw him in "How to Succeed in Business" on March 16, 1963, and his star-making turn with "I'm Believe in You," over the men's chorus and hum of electric shavers, is engraved in my mind. Too bad the film really wasn't that good but the material really didn't lend itself to a movie. Hollywood didn't seem to know what to do with him, though I did very much like him in "The Matchmaker," one of the few black-and-white movies shot in VistaVision. Shirley Booth was wonderful in that one too. It was gratify that he got a return to the spotlight in "Mad Men." The mischief was still in his eyes and grin even late in life!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks