Robert Harris-produced THE GRIFTERS is coming to Blu-ray.

Mark-W

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 6, 1999
Messages
3,197
Real Name
Mark
Bill Hunt reported on thedigitalbits that it was coming from Echo Bridge Home Entertainment along with many other Miramax titles. Sure enough, it is available at Amazon.com for $5.99 with an estimated release of May 2013. This is the film that made me love Annette Bening, but, for such a low price, what exactly are we getting?
 

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2005
Messages
5,357
Location
Camas, WA
Real Name
Mark Probst
Wow. That is the same Robert A. Harris. I didn't know he was a film producer in addition to being a archivist. I wonder if he got any say in the Blu-ray transfer of his own film? I'm guessing not. :(
 

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 1, 2009
Messages
2,977
Real Name
Ray
The Grifters is a much better film than many of its contemporaries already on blu. I wonder why it isn't getting a major studio release? One interesting aspect of it is that, in the film, John Cusak tries pulling a scam where he shows a bartender a $20 bill to order a drink, but then hands him a lower denomination bill in hopes that the bartender will make change as if it was $20. I had never heard of that scam before, but recently I was watching Love in Bloom with the future Dixie Crosby, and she tries the same scam (and succeeds), it made me wonder if it was related.
 

Russell G

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2002
Messages
12,120
Location
Deadmonton
Real Name
Russell
I would consider this modern day noir masterpiece. I've always loved the film. It's deserving of Criterion, not Echo Bridge. I'll wait for Mr. Harris's review before committing to it.
 

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Joined
May 14, 2009
Messages
2,919
Real Name
Richard
Wow, that is an exceedingly low price, for what was a fairly high profile movie.
 

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
9,361
Location
North Hollywood, CA
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by JoeDoakes
The Grifters is a much better film than many of its contemporaries already on blu. I wonder why it isn't getting a major studio release? One interesting aspect of it is that, in the film, John Cusak tries pulling a scam where he shows a bartender a $20 bill to order a drink, but then hands him a lower denomination bill in hopes that the bartender will make change as if it was $20. I had never heard of that scam before, but recently I was watching Love in Bloom with the future Dixie Crosby, and she tries the same scam (and succeeds), it made me wonder if it was related.
It's part of the Miramax library, which is currently licensed in two parts, one to Lionsgate, and one to Echo Bridge. This specific film is licensed to the latter.
 

Steve Tannehill

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jul 6, 1997
Messages
5,547
Location
DFW
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I always liked this movie, even though the ending was a punch in the gut. Back before it was released, I was pulled into some marketing research for its television advertising campaign. They showed several versions of a commercial and asked me questions about them. All I know is that the final version I saw on TV was the one I liked the most, the one that mentioned Martin Scorsese as producer. Glad to see RAH represented on Blu again!
 

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Apr 14, 2003
Messages
4,607
Location
Bolton, Lancashire
Real Name
John
Mark Walker said:
This is the film that made me love Annette Bening, but, for such a low price, what exactly are we getting?
A chap on another forum says the transfer is surprisingly good (which, I admit, means nothing at all), but the commentary track, the 'making of' and 'The Jim Thompson Story' have apparently been carried forward from the SE DVD unlike the UK edition which has zero supplements.
 

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Joined
Feb 26, 2007
Messages
1,759
Location
MPLS, MN
Real Name
Jack
Always loved this film. I own the Region locked UK release. Curious if the image quality is different. I know the UK blu has 5.1 DTS HD audio where as I've heard the Echo Bridge has 2.0 DTS HD. Doesn't mean you get a lot of surround, I would guess it helps the films score sound better. The movie gets better everytime I see it. I usually save it for a hot summer night. I also own the films score CD. The US BLU has some extras including the audio commentary track. (Which is one reason I may pick it up)
 

FanboyZ

Second Unit
Joined
May 19, 2009
Messages
276
Real Name
Zolly Shoah Ben-Becker
If there is a choice between Echo Bridge and Studio Canal, then the choice is clear.
 

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Joined
Apr 13, 2011
Messages
642
but then hands him a lower denomination bill in hopes that the bartender will make change as if it was $20. I had never heard of that scam before, but recently I was watching Love in Bloom with the future Dixie Crosby, and she tries the same scam (and succeeds), it made me wonder if it was related.
Where have you been? People have been trying this trick for years. When I lived in Lincoln Park/Mi in the early 1970s a cousin worked after school in Colonel Sanders. People were trying that on all the time. I had person leave my shop in the 90s and was with another person. I saw then have a quick chat outside and one came back and said I short changed them. I refused as they only gave me $5 in the first place and I had it right there. Some supermarkets used to have a clip on the register drawer and large notes were placed there until the change was given. Also avoids the salesperson giving the original payment tendered along with the change to the customer. I believe in Maccas & the Colonel the person on the register is responsible for shortfalls in the drawer at the end of the shift which would be seen as a bit unfair under the circumstances. Anyway Tatum O'Neill tired this trick in one of her early movies.
 

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Joined
Jun 20, 2003
Messages
848
If you enjoy this movie, I highly suggest reading Jim Thompson's novels. The Grifters is pretty good, After Dark, My Sweet is awesome, and The Killer Inside Me is a sick, twisted masterpiece.
 

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2001
Messages
3,277
Location
West Hollywood, CA
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Had the pleasure of a brief chat with the esteemed Mr. H. He was unaware that the disc was on sale though Best Buy, and I believe he is going to grab a copy in the near future so hopefully we will get a few words on the matter before long. I was amused to note that they misspelled one of the producer's names, which RAH tells me is the same mistake that was made on an earlier poster...
 

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Sep 30, 2002
Messages
9,361
Location
North Hollywood, CA
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Moe Dickstein
I was amused to note that they misspelled one of the producer's names, which RAH tells me is the same mistake that was made on an earlier poster...
Not that surprising. A company like Echo Bridge isn't gonna spend a lot of money on proofing, especially when they have a source (older poster) they consider reliable by default.
 

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Joined
Jan 17, 2001
Messages
4,957
Location
Las Vegas
Real Name
John Steffens
Other movies that are coming out with the Grifters by Echo Bridge are Heaven Fresh Full Frontal Hoax Nameless She's So Lovely Teaching Mrs. Tingle Jersey Girl Fortress Committed
 

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joined
Aug 18, 2001
Messages
7,012
Location
The BK
Real Name
ManW
Powell&Pressburger said:
Always loved this film. I own the Region locked UK release. Curious if the image quality is different. I know the UK blu has 5.1 DTS HD audio where as I've heard the Echo Bridge has 2.0 DTS HD. Doesn't mean you get a lot of surround, I would guess it helps the films score sound better. The movie gets better everytime I see it. I usually save it for a hot summer night. I also own the films score CD. The US BLU has some extras including the audio commentary track. (Which is one reason I may pick it up)
I thought the old DVD was also 2.0 surround(?), so I went ahead and picked it up yesterday (and actually watched it). Not a great transfer, but a worthwhile enough upgrade, IMHO, especially for the budget ~$6 price, under the circumstance. I figured this will at least allow me to trade in the old DVD for some other BD purchase at Best Buy during their next U&S promo offer, which would effectively turn this into a ~$1 upgrade price. :D Almost picked up Music of the Heart too while I was there, but that one also only has a 2.0 surround track according to its backcover -- and I couldn't find any reviews/comments for it -- while the old DVD had a 5.1 track, so figured I should just wait and see... _Man_
 

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
345,198
Messages
4,733,823
Members
141,405
Latest member
vikesfan1963