What's new

Robert Harris on The Digital Bits - 12/20 column - OFFICIAL THREAD (1 Viewer)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I'm going to see the new 70mm print at the Academy screening on February 3rd (I'm going to be in L.A. visiting my grandparents).
Very cool Matthew!
I will be there too! You will love the Academy Theater. Its just an incredible experience. It will be very obvious that you are there with other people who truly love movies. No talking during the movie, no loud eating of popcorn, no chugging of ice from drinks etc. And the picture and sound are great!
You are in for something special!
I will also be at the Academy screening of Lawrence of Arabia this coming Monday, January 13. That will also be a new 70mm print (thanks again, Mr. Harris!)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Universal's DVD of Bride of Frankenstein is very good, but seems to utilize an older digital transfer. It has that "not quite high-res" look to it, despite the image quality still being excellent.

I'd like to see Universal do a "Criterion" style digital restoration for the 2004 reissues by just cleaning up the scars. The murky grain...for example, in Dracula really enhances the film. Oddly enough, the Spanish version is from a near flawless source (one reel is in terrible condition) and looks fantastic.

The supplements on the Classic Monsters discs really are the icing on the cake... I love how one 30 min. documentary was prepared for each film, plus a commentary, and some assorted cool things like: THREE versions of Dracula (original Dracula, re-scored dracula, and spanish version) and the Boo! short on Frankenstein.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To Rob Tomlin:

When you screen LoA Monday night, you'll note "sparkle" on that print also, duped through from tiny bits of dirt which could not be removed from the emulsion before production of the intepositive.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
When you screen LoA Monday night, you'll note "sparkle" on that print also, duped through from tiny bits of dirt which could not be removed from the emulsion before production of the intepositive.
Interesting, as I don't recall seeing much "sparkle" on my previous 70mm viewing at the Cinerama Dome a few months ago.
I am really looking forward to this screening in order to compare it to my previous viewing on the curved screen at The Cinerama Dome. No more distorted horizons! :)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You probably would not have noticed the "sparkle" because of the curved screen and the amount of cross-illumination caused by it.

This cuts down contrast and resolution.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Yet another reason to look forward to the 70mm screening at The Academy Theater!

I would rather have some minor "sparkle" than distorted horizons and compromised contrast and resolution.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I thought I would share what I e-mailed Bill Hunt today.

Dear Bill,

I really enjoy Robert Harris' articles. I find them to be very thoughtful and interesting. I also learn more from one of his columns than ... well let's just leave it at that.

How about giving Robert's articles a header on the main page? To find his work, it seems you need to luck on to one of his reviews to then find his own "page." Naturally, I have it bookmarked now, but what about new readers coming to your site?

snip ....

Hope this helps,

Rich

Perhaps some of you readers might agree ....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks