What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits: The Alamo (1 Viewer)

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
MCCLOUD said:
As for the Alamo. how much would it cost to restore and put the complete roadshow version out on Blu-Ray? Robert
If not mistaken, RAH said from an earlier post in 2010 that the cost would be 1.3 million dollars. Don't know how much that is in 2013 dollars.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Richard V said:
If not mistaken, RAH said from an earlier post in 2010 that the cost would be 1.3 million dollars. Don't know how much that is in 2013 dollars.
That number sounds correct for the date, but as we would now go with full data, ie. DCPs and no 65mm preservation, the current number could possibly fall below the million mark. RAH

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Robert Harris
That number sounds correct for the date, but as we would now go with full data, ie. DCPs and no 65mm preservation, the current number could possibly fall below the million mark.
RAH
Seems so cheap to restore a piece of history for all time, is it not possible that MGM could sell The Alamo to another studio for a nominal small fee.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I would buy a properly state-of-the-art-restored version on BD in a second! The restoration should carry a name I trust, of course! Hardly a need to mention that. Cees

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Cees Alons said:
I would buy a properly state-of-the-art-restored version on BD in a second! The restoration should carry a name I trust, of course! Hardly a need to mention that. Cees
I would buy 2, in case anything happended to the first copy.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Double what Richard said! I'd buy a couple for various friends who love westerns and Wayne and have new blu-ray systems that they love. I think that a release of the complete ALAMO in BD couldn't help ending up a success.

clownjuggles

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter MacColeman
Robert, Given the changes that have occurred in the use of crowd source funding. Could people donate via places like Kickstart to obtain the funding that regulations previously prevented?

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
John Wayne's The Alamo is obviously "dead in the water" at this point. I think our comments henceforth should be on what to rename this thread. So far, I've come up with "MGM Says: Remember Forget The Alamo!"

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Not likely. The current head of MGM is also an equity partner. Perhaps our best hope is for MGM to get on the most solid footing possible, clear up any financial irritants, and then be in a position to stop, smell roses and then vinegar and realize that maybe they have some more work to do...

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Probably a moot point, but I read (and hadn't realized before) that MGM paid for the restoration of The Great Escape. I believe The Alamo is at least as popular as The Great Escape (although it was a much more profitable movie) and can't understand why they would give the green light to The Great Escape, but not The Alamo. But as I said, it is what it is, MGM has no love for this movie, and I guess we must resign ourselves to losing this movie, but that is just so damn hard to do. :f

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
Richard V said:
Probably a moot point, but I read (and hadn't realized before) that MGM paid for the restoration of The Great Escape. I believe The Alamo is at least as popular as The Great Escape (although it was a much more profitable movie) and can't understand why they would give the green light to The Great Escape, but not The Alamo. But as I said, it is what it is, MGM has no love for this movie, and I guess we must resign ourselves to losing this movie, but that is just so damn hard to do. :f
They also furnished a new 8k scan of West Side Story's OCN a few years ago. MGM doesn't know what it's doing. Bad parents can lose their children, but bad studios can not have their films taken from them. :( I've lost hope at this point unless the Library of Congress or UCLA or Scorsese get involved.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I have planned to upgrade my ENTIRE DVD collection of all 485 Best Pictures and nominees to Blu Ray, and while it may take years, I would buy The Alamo just for that fact.

cinerama10

Supporting Actor
Real Name
peter
I saw the original uncut version of the ALAMO when it was originally released and have that version on dvd as well.The film was not only a flop at the box office but it was mostly fiction. The acting (?) of John Wayne was an embarrassment.. What did impress me was the incredible sound on the 70mm film, which won a much deserved oscar. There are thousands of far better films that deserve restoration more so than The Alamo. CAN-CAN is another 70mm film that cries out for a restoration.Even PORGY AND BESS deserves to be restored..Not a great film but it had such a huge amount of very talented people in the film- sadly almost all are gone today.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Originally Posted by cinerama10
I saw the original uncut version of the ALAMO when it was originally released and have that version on dvd as well.
?.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Found this on Youtube: This video is a demonstration of the roadshow footage reinstated to the film; if MGM doesn't restore the roadshow version before it completely deteriorates, a reconstruction of the roadshow version may be our best bet at seeing The Alamo as it was intended.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
cinerama10 said:
I saw the original uncut version of the ALAMO when it was originally released and have that version on dvd as well.The film was not only a flop at the box office but it was mostly fiction. The acting (?) of John Wayne was an embarrassment.. What did impress me was the incredible sound on the 70mm film, which won a much deserved oscar. There are thousands of far better films that deserve restoration more so than The Alamo. CAN-CAN is another 70mm film that cries out for a restoration.Even PORGY AND BESS deserves to be restored..Not a great film but it had such a huge amount of very talented people in the film- sadly almost all are gone today.
?. The Alamo is in need of IMMEDIATE work. Can-Can is being handled by Fox. Not sure on P&B. But both Alamo and P&B need work done immediately.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks