What's new

Robert Harris on The Bits-Interview with Warner's George Feltenstein Official Thread (1 Viewer)

MichaelSloan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Sloan
I just read a part of that interview where George Feltenstein said ridiculous titles show up on this board. Does anyone think he could have meant my suggestions at all?

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator

I was worried about the same thing, but I think we'll be OK. There will be too many things coming out for me to even notice what I'm missing, and the way things are looking not much.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There was a bit of information in my discussion with Warner’s George Feltenstein, which may have been misconstrued, and all of us involved want to clarify the facts.

After the George Eastman House fire in 1978, a listing of negatives, either totally or partially destroyed was sent to M-G-M. Somewhere there was miscommunication, and although GEH archivists were aware of what had survived and what had not, there seems to have been confusion in the studio records, which when copied over, with the advent of computer data bases, continued incorrectly for decades.

The actual information came to light when GEH archivists showed Kevin Brownlow the original nitrate negative as well as a duplicate nitrate negative of The Big Parade in 1997. The Big Parade is currently being restored as a joint project of Warner and GEH.

Since the discussion went on line, I was informed by Mr. Feltenstein that the 128 films thought lost, were only thought lost by M-G-M. Other films were lost. But that’s a different story.

The archival and preservation area of Warner Bros. has made it clear that the lack of proper information dates back to handwritten records from the 1970s that incorrectly spoke of the elements as being destroyed.

During the past three decades, GEH, as it always had been doing, was keeping meticulous care of the elements, and have always had them properly inventoried.

Only in recent years, after a specific request was given to them was it revealed that the company's inventory information was incorrect, and the problem has since been rectified.

This has led to the manufacture of many new preservation elements on a host of key titles, none of which were "lost films" (safety fine grains and dupe negatives had been made before the nitrate went to Eastman House), but now can look much better with new elements being manufactured from those held by GEH for even greater quality.

Warner Bros. is very grateful to have a wonderful working relationship with the archivists at George Eastman House, and wants to set the record straight that at no time did GEH ever maintain anything but the most accurate and complete inventory information.

From my own perspective, having spent time at GEH, I can personally speak to not only their superb inventory and nitrate vault system, but also of GEH’s Jeffrey Selznick School, which via offers on site training to our future archivists in the highest manner.

Also, since I’m an fan of GEH, I’ll take to the soapbox (or apple crate) to mention to those who enjoy film classics, that high quality material continues to exist at GEH and is the source of not only some wonderful preservation work, but can be the source of future work.

I would also like to mention that GEH is about to begin a new Capitol Endowment fund-raising campaign.

Every bit helps, and every bit of contributions goes to actual film restoration. Anyone who has an extra dollar or five… or more…

Are welcome to call the Development Office of GEH directly at (585) 271-3361. Additionially, contributions towards GEH's ongoing film preservation projects are always welcome and can be sent directly to the Motion Picture Department. All of us in the restoration trenches thank you for your support of the GEH Archive. And all donations are tax deductible.

RAH

Al (alweho)

Second Unit
Yes, this is nitpicky. ULTRA nitpicky.

Mr. Feltenstein, is there any way you can update the FBI and Interpol warning screens on your DVD releases? They look like really worn VHS copies. They stick out on the otherwise exemplary presentations WHV is famous for.

I said I was nitpicking, OK? ;)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
To Al...

I totally agree.

The FBI logos do look like poor VHS dupes which have been pirated from other VHS dupes.

I've never understood why they are purposefully left to look that bad.

RAH

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Many thanks to Messrs. Feltenstein, Harris, and Hunt for bringing this great interview to us. I am very pleased to see the "TCM Archives" line continuing.

If I may submit a suggestion for Mr. Feltenstein's consideration:

Part of Warners early history consists of many classic "series" type films (Saint, Falcon, Kildare, Dead End Kids, Andy Hardy, Perry Mason and the list goes on and on). These have proved very popular on TCM. I would like to see Warners package these series and market them as "Saturday Afternoon at the Bijou" collections. These are usually short enough so that multiple movies could be presented on a single disc. These films consists of titles that probably wouldn't sell individually, but I imagine you'd be surprised how many people would buy a collection of the Falcon films. This model has seemed to work well for Universal and their numerous legacy films.

Finally, for Mr. Feltenstein's pleasure :), here's the ridiculous suggestion for the day: a complete collection of all 6 of the Hildegarde Withers films. We need more Edna May Oliver and James Gleason on DVD.

Steve

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I don't wish to burst a bubble, but the Falcon is not Universal's

Mummy
Frankenstein
Dracula
Wolfman

Possibly a future discussion might hinge upon the cost of actually creating a high quality DVD. I believe many might be shocked to compare with potential sales numbers. After which we can ask the question...

If this were an investment proposed to you, would you write a check?

Warner Brothers and the other studios are taking more gambles that one believe, many of which do not pay off.

RAH

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Your point is well taken. I did not mean to imply that the Falcon series is comparable to the examples you cited nor do I think they would sell in comparable numbers. Perhaps I should have used a better example, such as the Bowery Boys, which Leo Gorcey Jr. says Warners is working on. Certainly I think a case could be made that some of the more popular Warner series could be compared to the Universal's "Francis" or "Kettle" films. (I readily admit that I don't know how those did for Universal.)

Your comment about the cost of producing a high quality DVD could perhaps form the basis of another interview in which the buying public could (and should) be made aware aware of the cost of putting an older (non A-list title) film on DVD. Undoubtedly it is not as simple as sending the tape/print used for broadcasting on TCM to an authoring facility and paying for some design work for the cover. Maybe it's the number cruncher in me, but I think such an education would be illuminating. At the least, it would make the consumer more appreciative of what the studio does to make their products available.

Warners has already taken enough of my money and will likely continue to do so for the next several years so there is no way they could "disappoint" me by what they don't release. I just thought I'd throw this suggestion out there to see if there was any viability to it. Perhaps if the upcoming "Thin Man" set does well and if the Tarzan set did well Warners will take a look at some of these series (some of which got released on VHS). If they don't do well, then they'd be better off mining other parts of their catalog.

Steve

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
Ok, I thought it was just me that had this insane dream of an Eleanor Powell box set. I know it's the least problable box set to be released by Warner, since I don't think her name alone can handle profits enough to be a elegible choice by folks on WB.
Still, I think some of her movies, if not all of them should be released on dvd, The Broadway Melody of 1936 and 1938, plus Born to Dance (my favorite of hers after BM 1940), Rosalie and Lady Be Good (with that incredible Fascinating Rythm final number). Pleases Warner, I know that a lot of other titles have preference over these, but think about it. Who knows in a not so short period of time we may have them? I think they might be on that ridiculous suggestions category told on the interview, but I ask for them, anyway. And Please... Waterloo Bridge, Bachelor Mother and Stage Door too!!

StevenFC

Second Unit
If I understand what he was saying, it sounds like MR. Feltenstein is saying that some films aren't released onto DVD because someone with some sort of legal claim on the film wants too much money to relinquish those rights. How sad.

I don't think I'd like to know which ones they are. Lord only knows how many great films have never been made at all because of the same reasons. But, at least on the DVD end of it, I gotta believe that WB has at least tried to resolve those issues. But some times it just isn't meant to be I guess.

Anyway, I certainly have no complaints with the product that Warner has released to this point. And I'm certainly looking forward to what's coming up. I know they can't tell us everything because of legal and strategic reasons. But I'm sure no one will be unhappy if not completely happy.

Man, if you go over all of the releases from all the studios beginning in 2003 and going through 2005 with the probable releases coming out next year, I don't see how anyone can not be happy. I know I'll never get every film I want on DVD. Especially some small film that may have touched me, but wouldn't make a nickel for the studio. But, of all the ones that I had a reasonable expectation of seeing on DVD, the majority have made it. And we still have a few more years before hd-dvd takes over, and sd-dvd production stops.

Now if I can only find the time to watch all of those films!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i know the TM films were mentioned, but were they actually mentioned in the context of a set?
the impression i got from one of the chats was that there would be no set.

i think the set idea for series like this is a no-brainer (if they are going to go to the trouble of releasing any of the films at all) and didn't understand the reluctance on the TM movies.

hope that pans out.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Hi Paul,

So there's no confusion...the "set" was my assumption. You're quite right, the interview did not specifically mention one. I just assumed this because Warners has been issuing sets like crazy (especially for titles that may not sell as well individually). Sorry for any confusion.

In a prior post, someone mentioned "Libeled Lady". I'd be curious as to the viability of a "Powell/Loy Signature Collection" of non Thin Man films. Warners put out some great VHS product of films like "I Love You Again" and "Love Crazy". My personal favorite (which has virtually no chance of a DVD release) is an obscure little gem called "The Senator Was Indiscreet" in which Loy had a cameo.

Steve

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I hope Mr. Feltenstein doesn't think my suggestions are ridiculous, either ("Crossing Delancey", "Year Of The Dragon", "Electric Dreams", et al).

Something I don't understand but might help me if I know is:

Does Mr. Feltenstein work on classic releases only or all DVD movie releases? If it's all, then maybe he does think my suggestions are ridiculous.

Mr. Feltenstein, you do great work with all your titles. I'm sorry if my suggestions are odd and out there.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

For the record, though, can anybody tell me if my big 3 ("Dreams", "Delancey" and "Dragon") are coming next year?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Mr. Feltenstein is the man in charge of releasing Warner's catelogue of movies onto dvd. I don't think new films being released onto dvd falls under his immediate responsibility.

Crawdaddy

Derek Estes

Stunt Coordinator
Mr Feltenstein's title at Warners is..
I don't know if this is the only title he has, but this is what he was referred to as in The Digital Bits. So it sounds like he works exclusively with the enormous Warner classic catalog. I think that should keep him busy!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
All I have been doing is suggesting, Robert...

It's just that I feel like if my ideas are being called ridiculous, then so am I for having the ideas. In my school of your thought, your ideas define you as much as your actions.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I still think Warner is the best DVD studio, though.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I think you're taking this a bit too personally. He was saying in a very humorous way, that some of the dvd wishes people posted were ridiculous in the sense that they'd never sell enough to even be considered for a dvd release. At the same time he said that most of the suggestions were excellent ones. He purposely did not mention which of the suggestions were 'ridiculous' nor name any names, so I don't see any reason to get upset whatsoever.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I suppose you're right about me taking it too personally...

It's the disability I have. It causes me to take statements like Mr. Feltenstein's to their outer limits and beyond.

I had no idea the statement was meant as a joke...If there had been a mark that it was a joke like (Laughing) or (Laughing hysterically), I might've picked up on it.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sorry again.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
re: ridiculous requests

i distinctly recall seeing people (probably in the last chat) asking for things like a "special edition" of Goonies (when the disc already had a cast and director commentary and probably some other features)- and along a similar line, someone asked for a "revisit" of the first Superman movie.
while i would have loved for the latter movie to have been released like one of the other 2 disc digipacks that WB has put out in the last couple years, with more in the way of deleted and behind the scenes footage, i'm realistic (and appreciative) to realize what we originally got was pretty damn generous.

i see suggestions like the above to probably be more what GF was refering to, as opposed to some lower profile catalog title that hasn't been released yet

as much as i like the Thin Man films, i'd be even more interested in the twos non TM pairings.
for one thing, the TM movies are not only comedies but murder mysteries, and while thats great for the first viewing, once you know the identity of the killer(s), a good bit of the 'urgency' of the movie gets lost to me.
because of that factor, the straight ahead romantic comedies to me, play better upon repeat viewings.
they may not have the cachet of the TM series, but they are still a lot of fun.
Double Wedding is another one of my faves and it would be great to get that put inside a box of other sparkling Powell/Loy gems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks