Robert Harris on The Bits - 4/7/04 column - OFFICIAL THREAD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Bill Hunt, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt Insider
    Insider

After a few months away working in the industry, Robert Harris has returned with a brand new Yellow Layer Failure column at The Digital Bits. In this edition, Robert takes a look at some of the great DVD work that's been released since he's been away. Here's a link to his latest piece...

Robert's Back with Thoughts on Recent Releases

As always, click on the link to read Robert's comments and then come on back here to this official thread at the HTF to discuss, give feedback, ask questions of Robert and sound off as you will. Thanks to Robert for his usual fine work, and best wishes to all of you!

2. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Lead Actor

as always a fantastic read and more purchases made after reading the column

Thans again

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Executive Producer

It's such a rare and wonderful experience to get this kind of depth and information about catalog releases. Each title covered feels like a cool little history lesson.

I was shocked and horrified to read about Universal dumping such a substantial portion of their vault. I simply can't understand how anyone would knowingly throw away product.

Great article, and great to hear that Fox did a bang-up job with Grapes of Wrath.

4. Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H All Things Film Junkie

Stephen J. Hill
    Great article, RAH. Looks like I'll be adding the 2-disc Master and Commander to the list of DVDs I need to get.

5. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Great read.

I hope this is the right thread to ask this. Though I have pre-ordered many of the discs mentioned long ago in anticipation of their greatness, I have purposely completely overlooked MMISL. I generally have little taste for "musicals", at least in the traditional sense of them, though I seemed to enjoy Chicago and Moulin Rouge. With a RAH rec. as a blind buy I definitely must reconsider. Do those who've seen MMISL think somebody like me could really possibly enjoy it? It is the type of musical that follows the style of stage musicals that I don't have much taste for (such as My Fair Lady, I'm afraid to say), and am wondering if MMISL is this type, or more of the type where musical numbers are occasionally interjected into a substantial plot. Thanks.

6. Haggai

Haggai Producer

CraigF, if you aren't much into old Hollywood musicals, I would strongly suggest the Warners 2-disc SE of Singin' In The Rain as a good starting point, assuming you don't already have it. Not only is it probably the best musical of them all, but it has an outstanding documentary on the second disc called "Musicals Great Musicals: The Arthur Freed Unit at MGM." I definitely set out to see more of the classic musicals after I saw that great documentary.

MMISL is great, I just got it on a blind buy, and it's a fabulous DVD of an excellent movie. But I'm already a fan of the golden age musicals, so for someone like you who isn't that much into them, I think you should go with the Singin' In The Rain SE and see if you want to seek out some of the other big titles afterwards.

Check out Adam Jahnke's recently posted review of the SITR SE (also at the Digital Bits with RAH's column) for a take on the movie from someone who was won over despite figuring that he wouldn't like it.

7. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    Thanks Haggai. Re SITR...I just watched Clockwork Orange again last night [​IMG] . Ahh, not the same thing I guess. I wonder if the SITR discs around here are "corrected" ones yet...I'll have to re-read that thread. Anyway, I noticed that MMISL has been available around here for some time, a mistake I presume (this place also regularly gets confused about Fox Studio Classics, but never the blockbusters). I do keep picking it up to have a look, along with SITR, they do look like nice packages...maybe I really should check out the contents.

8. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Was there a problem with some SITR discs? I never noticed any problem with mine. Is this just a Canada thing? [​IMG]

9. Haggai

Haggai Producer

Back to the subject of the latest RAH column--I recently blind bought Mutiny On The Bounty after RAH recommended it in the review thread here on HTF (not just impulse, I'd been wanting to see it for quite a while), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Great adventure, and some especially great performances from Laughton and Gable. I rarely do blind buys, but it's tough for me to imagine many people being disappointed if they pick that one up sight unseen, especially since you can probably find it for about $15 (that's what I got it for at Best Buy).

10. CraigF

CraigF Cinematographer

Craig
    I may be mistaken about that SITR thing, there was a "sticky" about it and I completely forget the details.

I wonder if RAH forgot to mention the new Eating Raoul that's coming out the week before M&C ? Surely it was an oversight, after all he did mention Rules of the Game and The Leopard? [​IMG] I'll be watching ER tomorrow, been a long time, and I'm getting hungry.

11. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Great article - fascinating. Thank you!

Herb.

12. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    I don't understand the problem with Mutiny on the Bounty.

I recently purchased the DVD... it looks pretty much pristine except for the opticals. Even the opticals look pretty normal for 1935 technology... the film grain texture is just right, too.

13. Johnny_G

Johnny_G Auditioning

Great article and very informative.

14. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    Excellent Article, I'm saddened to hear about Magnificent Men in their Flying Machine's less than perfect DVD. I was at the 70mm film festival at the Egyptian where they premiered the new print and I thought it looked fantastic. of course I don't have the equipment to notice the difference anyway, but it's sad that it didn't get quite the care/treatment Hello Dolly got on DVD (also saw that in 70, WOW!).

Adam

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The non-mention of My Dinner with Mr. Bartel was not an oversight. The disc was just received and is at the ready.

16. Bill Marsh

Bill Marsh Agent

Thank You Robert for all that you do. DVD quality is so VERY important and its great when its done properly. I remember I borrowed ZULU---which I love---off my brother and I was horrified that the video quality was so poor. Luckily, a new presentation---anamorphic--came out and its much, much better. I am sure these forums have an effect. The industry needs to know that discerning and critical---if necessary--consumers are out there.

17. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    The following should have been appended to the final graph of the Bits piece in regard to Master and Commander:

For futher information on the audio of Master and Commander, I suggest a
    visit to Millimeter's web site:

http://millimeter.com/ar/video_sounds_sea/index.htm

RAH

18. Reagan

Reagan Supporting Actor

Reagan
    Another great column. Thanks, Mr. Harris.

-Reagan

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Why would Fox put so much "work" into films of the Studio Classic Line & then just dump a film like "Cheaper by the Dozen" with no "work" done on its Technicolor elements? Is it as basic as no $$$$$? If that is so, then I fear that catalog films of the future that are in the same situation as "Cheaper by the Dozen", are going to get the same neglect from Fox unless they are included in that rarified group of films that merit being part of the Studio Classics Line.

Nice article Mr Harris. Always an excellent read.

20. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    Craig, you may have been thinking of Kiss Me Kate. There was a framing issue on that disc which was recently fixed by Warner.