What's new

Robert Duvall & Canadian Actors (1 Viewer)

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
Just want to hear everybody's feedback on Robert Duvall's comment on how he thinks Canadian actors are inferior to American actors.

Mr. Duvall, two words....Christopher Plummer.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I hope the link works. It was on the canoe web site on Feb 11th in the movie section.

How ironic that he should diss Canadian actors, but he sure had no problem premiering his movie "The Apostle" at the Toronto film festival. Apparently he couldn't get any studios to give him a distribution deal, much less look at the damn film.

At least we Canadians did not unleash Pauly Shore unto the world:thumbsdown:
http://www.canoe.ca/JamMovies/feb11_duvall-sun.html

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
I saw the interview on TV.

Yup...Jim Carrie, Michael J. Fox, Leslie Nielson, etc., are terrible actors. He should have added Canadian directors like James Cameron, Sodeburgh, etc., that are also bad directors. Why not condemn terribly lousy Canadian singers like Twain, Dion, Adams, etc?

Indeed, the Apostle, his own self-confessed signature film was launched by the Toronto film festival. He couldn't get any US studios to touch it.

Very sad.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just want to hear everybody's feedback on Robert Duvall's comment on how he thinks Canadian actors are inferior to American actors.
My feedback is that you should read the quotation more carefully. In context, it's clear that what he's saying is that the talent pool is deeper in America -- not surprising, given that the show business capitals (New York and L.A.) are here.

M.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I just reread the story and I've pasted one of his quotes. I think it speaks for itself. Had it been a Cdn actor working for the CBC who had said that I wouldn't have given the story a second look.

It should be interesting if his ideas hurt his career options with films produced in Canada.

"I prefer not to work in Canada. I prefer to work in my own country. There are better actors down here. That's why they have to import so many actors for their Canadian productions," said Duvall.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Wow. Why would Robert Duval say anything negative anyways. Whats the point. If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.

brentl

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that the U.s. has 10 times the population base.

If the same percent chooses acting, then I guess he's right.

He can read a census .... smart man.

Brent

McPaul

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul M
I'm not getting into a pissing match here, there's no question that the US has more 'good' actors, popular actors, whatever, there's many reasons for this.

What I am concerned about is.... why did he feel the need to say that? Some thought process in his head had to come up with that theory: Canadian actors are INFERIOR.

What would make someone say something like that?

#1 I don't necessarily agree with it
#2 ......... SO WHAT?

he's a veteran actor, much of his work I respect. For anyone, muchless him to say that, just blows me away...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks