What's new

Robert Altman has died (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
One of the last truly original filmmakers has left us. I wish that I had discovered his work earlier, but at the same time I still have some great films left to see. I think I'll break out my unwatched LD of "Welcome Back to the Five & Dime....." tonight.

R.I.P.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Truly a loss. Mr. Altman was one of the few really independent directors working within the Hollywood system, not to mention a legend in his own time. Thankfully he's left a legacy of wonderful films behind for all of us to enjoy. Thank you Robert, and R.I.P.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
He'll be missed.

"No director ever got more best-director nominations without winning a regular Oscar, though four other men -- Alfred Hitchcock, Martin Scorsese, Clarence Brown and King Vidor -- tied with Altman at five."

Jason Roer

Supporting Actor
I still remember the last time I heard him speak. A gifted, original filmmaker with so much heart. He just wouldn't let the system get the best of him and remained true to his convictions throughout his career. Remarkable man and will be missed by so many. His films will continue to be studied and thankfully he left us so many gems.

Cheers,

Jason

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
What was remarkable about Altman was his ability to weave multiple storylines together in one movie quite effectively, especially in Nashville and The Player, probably his two best movies. :emoji_thumbsup: Even his lesser film Pret-a-Porter showed how effective that style can be.

A remarkable career, and he will be seriously missed. :frowning:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Very sad. I just took "Gosford Park" for its annual spin last weekend, and made plans to watch "Nashville" this week.
:frowning:

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
I just finished commenting on McCabe And Mrs. Miller in the S&S thread last night.

Not only was he a truly gifted and different filmmaker, but he was very interesting to listen to when discussing film in general. I loved his introduction to Rashomon on the Criterion DVD.

He will truly be missed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member

Part of the reason why PT Anderson was brought in to co-direct A Prairie Home Companion was because Altman didn't think he'd be able to complete it.

RIP, Mr. Altman.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Yes.... the passing of one of the true greats. Sadly many of his best films have NEVER made it to home video. Maybe now we will get THIEVES LIKE US, BREWSTER MCCLOUD and other titles long unseen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks