What's new

Robbie Williams Mr Bojangles (1 Viewer)

Robbie Williams may not be not the household name in the US or even in Australia that he is in the UK but having just bought his latest album of old classics I felt this was worth posting.

His version of one of my favourite songs of all time, Mr Bojangles, had me covered in goosebumps (despite the 30 degree celcius temperature).

Most definitely worth a listen.

Christine

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
For the benefit of those who don't know who Robbie Williams is (i.e. most of America) he was one of the singers in Take That. Don't let that put you off! He's released three pop albums which have been *massive* hits just about everywhere except the USA. That's okay, guys - you keep Britney and we'll keep Robbie.

Anyway, RW has now released an album of songs associated with Sinatra and the rest of the Rat Pack, using in many cases the same backing musicians. The album's called 'Swing When You're Winning' (a pun on his last pop album, 'Sing When You're Winning'). It's fair to say that British critics have detested it (in fact, 'detested' is too mild a word). IMHO this is primarily fired by the standard Brit disease of hating anyone who is successful. The guy can sing, there are no embarrasing strained notes, and the songs are treated pretty reverentially (including the aforementioned Mr Bojangles). The fault with the album is that the guy doesn't have Frank Sinatra's sense of timing or voice (but then, who does?). The album is selling like hot cakes in the UK at least, and a single from the album (Somethin' Stupid, duetting with Nicole Kidman of all people) is almost certain to be the Christmas No. 1 in the UK.

Buy it - you may be pleasantly surprised.

Luc D

Second Unit
Well, we get more than enough Robbie Williams in Canada so let me be the first to thank you Brits for another wonderful muscial export.
smiley_banghead.gif

Scott H

Supporting Actor
Ouch. There is only one definitive version of that song for me, by it's author Jerry Jeff Walker. One sweet night, years ago, I got to play it with him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks