Robbie Williams - Live at Albert Hall

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dylan Davis, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Dylan Davis

Dylan Davis Stunt Coordinator

I had the pleasure of seeing the Premiere of this at the Egyptian Theater here in LA on Monday. Both Robbie and the director Hamish Hamilton were there and spoke before the movie.
    Well it was amazing! I had this on PAL DVD for a month now, but it is coming out on region 1 on April 23. If you are a Robbie fan, or just want to see an amazing concert film, check this one out.
    DVD File has a very nice review up in their Sneak Peaks section.
    I feel so lucky to have seen this on the big screen (with Robbie, no less [​IMG] ) But the DVD looks to be excellent in the picture and sounds departments!
    Dylan

2. Dylan Davis

On a side note, to see ME interview the director, Hamish Hamilton, watch Late World with Zack on VH1 in a week or so. That is unless I get cut.

Dylan

3. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    It's interesting that the upcoming region 1 edition has more extras than the sensational region 4 edition.

The Concert,the Performances, the music, the super sharp colorful 16:9 transfer and the incredible Dolby Digital sound, all make this disc something really special.

It should appeal to young and old alike.

I now use it as my number one Demo disc.

As a side note, the Concert was run on TV here in Australia and had a completely different sound mix to the DVD.

On TV, the screams of the audience at times completely drowned out the performance, but thankfully on the DVD mix, the audience noise is kept at a much lower level and never intrudes on the performance.

If anything, when asked by Robbie to join in the last song, the audience level on the DVD is a bit too low.

4. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

On behalf of the England I apologise in advance for the smug talentless turd that is Robbie Williams, I thought you would be spared, it's nothing personal, we have nothing against the US really!!!

Could they not just bring one of Sinatra's stools back to life, it would have a better voice I'm sure.

Think of him as our very own Woopie Goldberg

5. Doug Bull

Doug Bull
    JohnJB,

You are entitled to your somewhat degrading opinion of him, but let it be known, that an awful lot of people would fervently disagree with you.

SMUG? YES. but why not. He is also quite humble and sincere at times.

TALENTLESS? HARDLY. While he's no Sinatra or Martin, he more than holds his own with every song he tackles.

The Audience were not in raptures at the end of the concert for nothing.

What I admired most about his performance was the fact that he sings the songs the way they were written and does not try to distort the melody at any time.

In my humble opinion, it is a Bravura performance.

Forget about his dark past, he deserves all the success that he is currently enjoying.

6. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

I like Robbie. Personality-wise, he can be a dickhead sometimes, but the same (and worse) can be said of many a celebrity, on either side of the pond. At least Robbie has a sense of humor.

As for "talentless"... It takes a special kind of singer to hold his own while standing in for Freddie Mercury and Robbie did a rather admirable job of it, in my opinion.

Plus, I'm a sucker for "Angels." What a beautiful song.

7. Dylan Davis

JohnJB - No apology required.

Doug & Ricardo, I couldn't agree more with what you said.

I really love the PAL DVD, it sounds almost exactly like it did in the theater, but it will be nice to not have the PAL to NTSC conversion issue come April 23.

Dylan

8. andrew markworthy

Before this degenerates into a tedious 'we love Robbie - we hate Robbie' debate, let's just say that this particular DVD is unlikely to convert anyone who isn't already a fan. Even then, you may not be convinced. Personally, I like RW's pop music, but this concert, which is largely restricted to his interpretation of some of the standard tunes of the 1940s and 50s, did little for me. Possibly I've spent too long listening to the great Sinatra recordings of the Capitol era to find anything else acceptable.

9. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

I'm looking forward to this dvd. I really enjoy "Swing When You're Winning" and I was a "Robbie Hater" until I actually was given one of his cds. Unfortunately, I'm in the process of painting a new house and my home theater hardware is still in their boxes.

Anyone seen "The Money Pit"? Welcome to my world.

10. Doug Bull

Doug Bull
    Sorry Andrew I disagree with you.

I am an oldie, who had never even heard of Robbie Williams until I caught this concert on TV late one night.

I bought the DVD the very next day.

At first his smug, abrasive personality turned me off, but after watching and listening to his performance, he soon won me over. He certainly knows how to play to an audience.

My Wife, who also knows very little about today's pop music, was also won over by him.

I'm not saying that I would enjoy any of his Pop Albums, as I'm sure I wouldn't, but as far as his performance goes in this concert, I say BRAVO!!

It is a pleasure to hear a pop singer of today, sing some of the all time great classics in a style and manner that is so reminiscent of the great vocalists of some 50 years ago.

I ran the DVD to my 28 and 30 year old Daughters and they both agreed that the Concert was fabulous.

And they both said they were not Robbie Williams fans before this performance.

Believe me, my taste in music is very much implanted in the greats of the past ( Pop music lost me after the seventies)

Sinatra, Martin, Crosby, Peggy Lee, etc, will never be replaced, but if Robbie Williams encourages others to follow, who knows, maybe good quality music may make a comeback.

Yeah, I know, I'm a dreamer and a square.( Is that the correct terminology in today's vocabulary?)

11. andrew markworthy

Doug, I think I should perhaps slightly qualify my comments - I didn't dislike the concert as much as be personally unexcited by it. Having said that, I'm also unmoved by Dean Martin and the rest of the 'Rat Pack' other than Sinatra. I do agree, however, that RW can play to an audience superbly.

Oh heck - to anyone who hasn't encountered RW before and who is reading this - if you see a cheap copy of the DVD or the CD, go buy it!

12. Cary

Cary Stunt Coordinator

Jeeps, I'm nearly afraid to post, but I like both Robbie and Whoopie! Call me brain-dead...I will reply, it just takes awhile.

The one thing I never get about Robbie criticism is how someone who continually makes fun of himself (and really all pop-star life) can be called smug. I would say that he's very happy to have bested the nay-sayers in his past with his commercial success, but at the same time realizes that the over-the-top imaging of a modern pop star is entirely mad. That seems like a healthy balance that I wish a few more American acts would emulate.

I also think it's quite ass-backwards when a huge pop success fuels the rediscovery of "classic" pop standards, and the people that love those originals complain about it. Most of the money from pop record sales simply goes to fast cars, lots of drugs and booze, and maybe a floozy or twenty. I guess it's damned if you do, damned if you don't.