Rob Roy.....Any Chance of a Special Edition?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by JoshB, Sep 21, 2005.

1. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    This is one of MGM early titles, and is empty on extras and the picture and sound could use some work.

Anyone else agrre a special edition would do this under rated film justice?

2. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Yes, bring it on.

The current transfer is a joke!

3. Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D Cinematographer

I've been wanting this for a long time now but refuse to pick up the bare bones edition. It deserves a new transfer and lots of extras. Come on MGM(Sony).....release a special edition already!

4. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    I couldn't agree more!

5. Aaron_Brez

Aaron_Brez Supporting Actor

Have always loved this movie, and have a copy of the old DVD.

I'll probably wait for this on high-def, since I'd rather not double-dip. Now, if I had that nifty high-def front projection system I've been drooling over for a year, I might have to grab it. And if there are deleted scenes or commentary tracks, I might be sorely tempted anyway...

6. jim.vaccaro

jim.vaccaro Second Unit

There's so much grain and noise in this transfer it's like watching the movie in a snowstorm.

7. AlexCremers

AlexCremers Second Unit

I believe that the R2 version is quite good.

8. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I'd get this in a heartbeat. And while you're at it Sony, how about finally giving us a Misery SE?

9. Scott_MacD

Scott_MacD Supporting Actor

The R2 may be quite reasonable (I have not seen it), but the UK version has been cut by the BBFC in the rape scene.

It is the only reason I do not own it, a terrific film.

10. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

I doubt that it will get a special edition even though it would be nice. It's a worthy film. Although the conclusion of the final battle was kind of hard to believe. It didn't seem plausible.

The video of the current version certainly has issues and could be much better, but I've seen far worse.

I can't believe they cut the rape scene from the UK version. It's pretty mild for a rape scene. I'm a little shocked by that. I guess I assumed the UK was more progressive than that. [​IMG]

11. Aaron_Brez

What did you find implausible, just out of curiosity, Steven?

12. StevenFC

StevenFC Second Unit

Where Rob Roy grabs Cunningham's sword and then picks up his own sword and chops him. I really don't think it's possible to do that without the guy jerking it from his hand.

13. Aaron_Brez

Possibly you're right; I'm not a swordsman, so I can't answer definitively. It fit within my suspension of disbelief, and as it was an illustration of raw determination and strength versus arrogance and skill, I felt it worked as metaphor, if nothing else.

14. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Producer

"What say you, Guthrie, that Archie could not tell arse from quim?!" [​IMG]

Brilliant film. Not to be construed as a 'historical' film, by any means, folks; Robert Roy MacGregor existed in the early 18th Century, but he has been mythologized in folklore. Great film though; a real humdinger. The dialogue - like that above - is priceless; Alan Sharp (Night Moves) is a brilliant writer. I find the film infinitely more enjoyable than the other Scottish biopic of 1995.

The film badly needs a SE with a new anamorphic transfer of the uncut version, commentary by Michael Caton-Jones, Alan Sharp, Liam Neeson, etc at the very least. I believe that both the R1 and R2 DVDs are just plain Laserdisc ports (the UK transfer is definately NON-anamorphic; is the R1 16x9?) and the picture quality on the both is unacceptable for such a recent, high-bidget, 'prestige' picture.

My friends and I constantly quote from this film and talk about it and the conversation usually leads to discussion of other bizarre figures and moments in Scottish history like brave Sir James Douglas fearlessly hurling Robert the Bruce's casketed heart at the Moors at the battle of Tebas de Ardales in 1330 and crying, "Go forward as thou wast wont, noble heart! And I shall follow thee, or else shall die!" before being killed, along with all his men. I'd love to see a Sir James Douglas biopic some day.

15. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    The R1 of Rob Roy is indeed anamorphic and has DD 5.1, but neither are up to today's standards at all (the PQ in particular). This should have been a special edition long ago, and I'm suprised we have gone this long without one.

16. Jason Hughes

Jason Hughes Supporting Actor

Jason Hughes
    I'd buy one. Let's get cracking Sony.

17. Yumbo

Yumbo Cinematographer

still waiting on SE as well.

18. Mark_TS

Mark_TS Screenwriter

Ill second the motion.

but at SONY the priorities are with things like 2 different editions of the AFIs 20 times nominated STEALTH.
    (which lost them a cool $100 million)

19. JoshB

JoshB Supporting Actor

Joshua Bal
    In regards to Stealth, and not to change the subject, they seem to be giving a much more generous SE than some of there more profitable titles. They included a DTS track on a first release, which they normally reserve for a double dip. But since the film hardly made a dent at the box office, it seems very unlikely to re-release the same title. But then again its Sony.

They re-release titles like Legends of the Fall and River Runs Through It with what looks liek the same A/V quality and extras, but repackage it under a new banner and cover art.

I like to be optimistic, but the chances of them giving a title like Rob Roy the treatment it should have had is remote.

In years down the road, what are people more likely watching or remembering, Stealth or Rob Roy.

In fact, Rob Roy made twice as much money as Stealth, and cost 1/5 of what it took to make that bomb.