What's new

Rob Lowe leaving "The West Wing" (1 Viewer)

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I was channel surfing the other day and saw Martin Sheen being interviewd at some golf tournamnet. He said he was flying somewhere recently (going commercial for some reason) and when he showed his ID to the ticket agent, the agent dead panned "is Air Force One in the shop Mr. President?" :D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That makes sense if you believe Rob and Martin are the stars of the show. NBC believes it's the Martin and Ensemble show.
And it's not unheard of for people to leave shows because of that. It's seldom been a good idea from a visibility standpoint, but maybe it is from a job satisfaction standpoint. Weekly drama can be a grind, and for Lowe, who has been the lead for a good percentage of his career, being a supporting guy just may not have the same appeal, even at (22 x $75K =) $1.65M/year. That's a lot of money to many of us, but Lowe may figure there are other, more interesting ways he can make it.

Even if he's not making as much. I must confess, I look at folks who wind up staying with the same show for >5 years, and I wonder what's wrong with them - if they were looking for stability, why'd they become actors? It makes a certain kind of sense for Lowe to leverage the good buzz "The West Wing" has gotten him into a variety of more interesting roles.

Roberto Carlo

Second Unit
While I'm sorry to see Lowe leave (or Lowe go, whatever), the fact is that Barlett staff has been remarkably stable, compared to its real-world counterparts. Speech writers and other senior staffers don't stay that for a whole term and certainly not through two terms. The grind becomes unbearable and the lure of private-sector bucks becomes irresistible. In this case art, or at least television, is imitating life.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Adam, I supose that there could be that. I hope not.

I am somewhat of an outsider (not being a US citizen), but I really do belive the American Presidency does not have the cache that it used to. That being said, I would not want to wish that sort of thing on the US public again (an assasination). It might make good drama, but it would be a bad way to end off the Bartlett Presidency. I just hope that Jed wins, and not because of the usual crap that has dragged down the US presidency to the LCD, easiest bought candidate that it seems to be now.

Now, back to Rob leaving. Over all, dumb move. I don't think TBTB realized how strong a presence Martin Sheen would be as POTUS, and Rob is a little disgruntled, still it is an ensemble cast, and does getting your name first really mean you deserve more money, and "Cred" then the others?

HMM, this might be too close to "politics", admins if it is let me know, I will edit.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
There's already been on assasination attempt on Jed Bartlett. That was the first season cliffhanger.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
I'm sure all the other ensemble actors have clauses in their contracts about raises should other cast members besides Martin Sheen receive one
I recall that on Miami Vice, Phillip Michael Thomas made like one dollar less than whatever Don Johnson made. If so, smart move.

//Ken

Rob T

Screenwriter
President Sheen is trying to keep him as part of the cast. :)
Link Removed
Sheen Persuades Lowe To Think Again
Martin Sheen is staging a desperate last-minute bid to persuade pal Rob Lowe not to walk away from hit political TV drama The West Wing. Sheen was close to tears in a recent TV interview when he was asked about his thoughts following Lowe's decision to quit the show over an on-going salary dispute. And, following a heartfelt chat with Lowe, who grew up next door to the actor and his family in California, it seems the younger star is rethinking his departure. Sheen says, "I told him that this is a good show and the grass isn't much greener anywhere else." Sheen arranged a summit meeting with Lowe and his castmates in a bid to show Lowe just how much he was loved by his co-stars, and the meeting was enough to reopen negotiations between the unhappy actor and the show's producers. Lowe has just completed filming the fourth episode of the new West Wing season. He has previously announced he'll bow out on the show after the 16th show of the season.

Lance Nichols

Supporting Actor
Thank god. If Sheen manages to convince Lowe to stay, I will get US citizenship, and vote for him next election! :)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If the producers are realy sour at him, they could write him out of the show by having his character caught having a tryst on video with two underage women. That would be really, really evil.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
If someone is trying to disparage Rob Lowe what are the chances that that person will actually use some fresh material instead of dredging up a story from, oh 14-15 years ago? :rolleyes:Thread farters suck. :thumbsdown:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.