Rob Lowe leaving "The West Wing"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael*K, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

According to Variety, Rob Lowe will be departing during the upcoming season due to a salary dispute. Sort of sorry to see him go. The series breathed new life into his career.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

3. Lance Nichols

Lance Nichols Supporting Actor

I agree, pretty dumb move if a show pulled your career/name out of the dumpster, and the entire show is ensemble based.

The only character that really "has" to stay is Jed Bartlett, as the West Wing can't do mutch with out a President.

So, don't try to demand more money, with the threat of "If you don't give me more, I walk."

That being said, I will miss Sam if they write Rob out. Maybe they can have him run for a governor-ship or congress seat. Seems to me Jed has been grooming him for that (and eventual presidency).

4. Quentin

Quentin Cinematographer

Quentin H
    Frankly, I've felt as if the show's been on a slide anyhow. If Lowe leaves, I'm not sure I'll be very interested after next season...[​IMG]

5. Matt Stone

Matt Stone Lead Actor

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

He had the same complaint year one. He thought he was going to be the star. He didn't expect it to be an ensemble show.

Good luck finding a better gig, Rob. See you in the direct to video aisle.

7. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

[​IMG]
    Damn.
    I wonder who they'll get to take over his spot.

8. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

If I were on one of the most successful shows on TV, they would have to drag me off with a crane. A million seven sounds good to me

10. Jim_C

Jim_C Cinematographer

I dunno guys. Maybe Rob is doing the right thing. It was a fantastic career move when David Caruso left NYPD Blue when it was so popular. [​IMG]
    What exactly was Rob Lowe doing before the WW was offered to him? Not a lot. I guess he doesn't see it that way.
    I'll miss Sam.

11. Michael*K

Michael*K Screenwriter

Woo-hoo...just saw that Mary-Louise Parker is coming back next season as Amy Gardner. [​IMG] [​IMG] Love the razor-sharp repartee between her and Josh. They supplied me with my favorite exchange from last season:
    Josh: "What the hell are those?"
    Amy: "Those are balloon animals."
    Josh: "I'm sorry...?"
    Amy: "They're balloon animals. I have nephews who like balloon animals, so I got someone to teach me."
    Josh: "Are they..abstract?"
    Amy: "I'm a beginner!"
    Edit: My second favorite line. [​IMG]

12. CharlesD

CharlesD Screenwriter

Seems like a pretty boneheaded move by Lowe to me. $75k for a week or 2's work doesn't sound bad to me, and on whats arguably the best show on broadcast TV to boot.

Although Sam Seaborn and C.J. are my favorite characters on the show, the writing and interaction of all the characters of the show is so good that I don't think he will be particularly missed.

13. Johnny wilson

Johnny wilson Stunt Coordinator

Another asshole who only cares about $$$$$$. He's a muti-millionare for "acting," while I make $27,000 a year to put up with 10 year olds for 9 hours a day.

14. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

He's being foolish. The West Wing has been the best thing to happen to his career since anything before his little scandal. Has he not watched what happens to people who leave successful shows while they are still in their prime?

15. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

The controversy has been there since the beginning. He contended in the first season he was told the show would focus around him, and his view of the white house (like All the President's Men) but when Martin Sheen came on board in his role, planning shifted.. and he's been sour ever since.
    Too bad. The show really has had some mixed seasons the last two, and his departure certainly won't hurt. Heck, at least now they won't have to avoid things like the R-Kelly controversy [​IMG] [​IMG]

16. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I don't know why he's doing it. Maybe his agent got into Lowe's head that he can get a show of his own. I enjoyed his character but the ensemble cast will minimize the loss. Stupid move though in my book.

17. Win Joy Jr

Win Joy Jr Stunt Coordinator

Sorry, guys, but I must disagree...

EVERYONE except Rob has had a salary bump since Season 1. I don't blame him for leaving...

18. Chad R

Chad R Cinematographer

Chad Rouch
    And I'm sure the recent Emmy nominations was the straw that broke the camel's back. I mean literally everyone else was nominated an that show, except for him. That had to hurt.

19. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

20. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor