What's new

Roadshows that need a bluray release (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/318415/roadshows-that-need-a-bluray-release/30#post_3917104
You know, the first time I ever saw the complete version of Star! was on AMC (before they went commercial). They first showed it pan and scan, of course, but eventually the widescreen version aired, and I thought I had died and gone to heaven to finally get to see the whole thing. That homemade videotape got a lot of wear and tear before I finally got my hands on the laserdisc.
I have always enjoyed the movie, even in the shortened version that ended up at the Capri Theatre in Jackson, MS. I never saw THOSE WERE THE HAPPY TIMES however it would be and interesting extra on a Blu-ray.

The film is entertaining, but a lot of people have said that Julie did not play a very nice person in the film. Of course those people also did not know who Gertrude Lawrence was either. The Saga of Jenny and Limehouse Blues numbers were outstanding and are a spectacle. My only down thoughts of the film is that I wish it had moved on to THE KING AND I and her eventually illness during the production and death. She could of easily gotten up out of the screening room after looking at the film of her life and walked on over to the St. James Theater and finished the film. But then it would have been a longer film and that would have been cut also.

The laser was a godsend, the DVD was disappointing. The brownish tint and the lack of the Intermission and Entr'acte forced me to hold and treasure the laser.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
ahollis said:
The laser was a godsend, the DVD was disappointing.  The brownish tint and the lack of the Intermission and Entr'acte forced me to hold and treasure the laser. 
There's been a beautiful 70mm print playing in various 70mm venues throughout Southern California in the past few years that mysteriously does not contain the overture. I hope this error is corrected before any recent restoration finds its way onto bluray. The laserdisc is one of my all-time favorites as far as bonus extras are concerned.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I agree about Star! and I passed on the DVD and kept the LD for those reasons. I'd love to see it on Blu-Ray. The historical still section was pretty interesting, going so far as to detail all the cuts, and I was disappointed that the Blu-Ray of The Sound of Music didn't keep it. Maybe the info for this one will turn up on the Blu-Ray in some form. Or they could just include all the cuts via seamless branching, the most disappointingly underused feature of DVD and Blu-Ray. Of course, I'd be watching the long one.

It's interesting about the 70mm print not containing the overture either.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
The overture played each time I saw it in LA over the last few years - it's part of the film with screen graphics/images

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
I recall hearing that after American Cinematheque ran the new 70mm print without the overture prologue in Santa Monica, word reached them of the missing overture reel in time for them to include it sometime later when they ran it in Hollywood. I've heard something about people searching out an old print to include the overture reel when the new 70mm print was shipped to London without the overture.
Apparently it's easy to misplace the overture because it has always been a separate reel.
Doesn't the LD history mention that the retitled version has some differences in editing and at least a couple added visuals not in the original - meaning seamless branching wouldn't work, but adding it as a low-res supplement (like Fox did with the superior version of Oklahoma! on the 2 disc DVD) would be a lot of fun - along with the TV/radio spots and trailers for it that the LD just hinted at.
Since text sections are so rarely done these days, wouldn't it be cool to have it reformatted into a PDF book and/or video documentary feature? I bet there has to be nifty stuff that the original LD producer had to leave out for time and space. I also heard there were some postproduction errors in the still store and commentary.
Wouldn't you love to see Dolly! and Dolittle also get this kind of treatment? if only it would occur to the studio to enlist people who really know the products and their audience.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chas in CT said:
Okay, y'all talked me into it.  I just bought the LD -- my first in a long time.
You will give us a full report, won't you? Do you have the DVD?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
No, don't have the DVD, and I only saw the movie once many years ago, probably at a second-run.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chas in CT said:
No, don't have the DVD, and I only saw the movie once many years ago, probably at a second-run.  
Would be interesting to hear people directly compare the laser to the DVD.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
6ee2436d_htfdolly.jpeg

Erik_H

Stunt Coordinator
Regarding an earlier post about "Hello Dolly" in HD. "Dolly" was in rotation on the HBO/Cinemax networks during the last year in HD but (as always seems to be the case with films from the Fox library airing in HD on HBO/Cinemax) in pan-scan. "Dolly" is available on the VUDU service for rental or purchase in HD. I believe the film is also on iTunes in HD.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Erik_H said:
Regarding an earlier post about "Hello Dolly" in HD. "Dolly" was in rotation on the HBO/Cinemax networks during the last year in HD but (as always seems to be the case with films from the Fox library airing in HD on HBO/Cinemax) in pan-scan. "Dolly" is available on the VUDU service for rental or purchase in HD. I believe the film is also on iTunes in HD.
I wonder if it's as brown and badly mixed as their other roadshow transfers from that era. And it ain't HD on Netflix.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks