What's new

Road Warrior SE anytime soon? (1 Viewer)

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I was at CC today and I came across Road Warrior, I've been meaning to get it and I didnt cause I figured with the new Mad Max flick being made and all, they would likely do DVD SE's of Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome. So, I was wondering if theres even the slightest rumor of this happening?

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
There will probably be re-releases of these movies in 2004 when Mad Max 4 comes out (or maybe it comes out in 2005). However, there's not much point in denying yourself this DVD until then. It's a cheap DVD and the sound and picture are great. In all likelihood, you have never seen it this good before. I mean, it's no bad investment to shell out $14 to enjoy a movie for over a year and then upgrade if a SE comes out. But I doubt any SE is forthcoming before Mad Max 4.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
There was a thread on this about a month ago.
A SE was announced about 2 years ago and cancelled. Like Dave said, Im sure theyll get to one to hype MM4, dont expect anything before then.

I agree, its a $14 DVD and looks and sounds great.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I've been meaning to get it and I didnt cause I figured with the new Mad Max flick being made and all, they would likely do DVD SE's of Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome.
Ditto. I've been holding off for years on getting Road Warrior because I've been hoping for an SE or better yet a Mad Max boxed set. I'd be willing to sell my Mad Max SE for a few measly credits to get it with the boxed set again. But it doesn't look like it's happening any time soon so I might as well buy Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome, right?

Thing is, when I see Road Warrior on TBS I notice some extra dialogue during a few scenes, which makes me think there's also some deleted scenes.

So basically I want a Mad Max boxed set with SE versions of the second and third movies. There's 3 movies to make a boxed set feasible and despite the legal wranglings probably involved in packaging all 3 together, I know it can be done(I think).

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I bought it at Best Buy about a year ago for $9.99. It's probably $6.99 in Walmart's bargain bin by now. I would really like an SE myself, but I can wait because the current disc really isn't THAT bad.

Dan Stone

Stunt Coordinator
when I see Road Warrior on TBS I notice some extra dialogue during a few scenes, which makes me think there's also some deleted scenes.
Perhaps this is simply a function of the version with the American voiceovers versus the version with all the original Australian dialogue. I've seen a trailer for The Road Warrior (believe it was on the original release Stargate DVD) which had the original dialogue. The voice of The Humungus, for instance, was noticeably different. From what I've been told when I asked here previously, only the version with the American voiceovers is available on DVD.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Dan I think you're getting confused with the first Mad Max movie that was dubbed by American actors for the U.S. and its sequel The Road Warrior, which wasn't re-dubbed by American actors. At least not that I'm aware of. Every version of Road Warrior I've seen, from the original theatrical release to the various TV and video releases feature the original Australian actor's voices. However, I do recall, perhaps in the trailer, that Humungus had a different voice. I don't recall where but I do remember thinking he didn't sound right. But that was only in regards to Humungus in a trailer or something.

As for the extra dialogue I heard, it comes from Pappagallo middway in the movie when he delivers his speech atop the tanker about dealing with the vermin and protecting the fuel. I believe it's when TBS or TNT airs the movie. I've seen the movie many times and when he suddenly spouted some extra lines I was like 'What the ?', surprised of course.

Then again those Turner basic cable channels also add most of the deleted scenes to Jaws when they show it, which is the only reason I watch it whenever it's on, despite owning the DVD. It's always nice to get those little extra surprises during TV airings of movies. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Hmm, interesting, Dan. Thanks for the link! It reminded me of the American actor's voice for the opening and closing narraration. Forgot about that, I think that's only for the NBC version though, not sure since I almost never catch Road Warrior from the beginning on TV. However some of the other changes attributed to NBC could also be in place for the TBS/TNT version. I know Pappagallo's extended speech is there.

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
the current 5.1 soundtrack is terrible, the volume on the dialogue is extremely low, and so are background sounds.

if i switch to mono, i think its either the spanish or italian track, it sounds much better !! :angry:

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I just watched Road Warrior the other day because it was on USA or something and looked bad. The dvd is better but I couldn't help thinking this movie needs a SE fast.

Considered one of the all-time best action films ever, it needs a full make-over and proper SE.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member

¡Saludos del Humungus! ¡El Señor Humungus! ¡El guerrero de la tierra! ¡El Ayatollah de la Roca y de Rolla! :D

I've been holding my purchase of The Road Warrior for just such an SE. I'd certainly buy it.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
I think I'll give in and buy this.

The 1st 3 are released by Warner Bros., while Mad Max 4 will be released by Fox. I'm not sure if WB will try to cash in on MM4. Even if they do, it is too long of a wait. I should have bought it looooong time ago.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Warner is certainly not above cashing in on other studios' hits--witness the release of the Hammer Mummy disc to cash in on Universal's Mummy series. I'd guess we see full-blown SEs of all 3 of the current series when the new one hits the streets.

Eugene Esterly

Supporting Actor
The 1st 3 are released by Warner Bros., while Mad Max 4 will be released by Fox. I'm not sure if WB will try to cash in on MM4. Even if they do, it is too long of a wait. I should have bought it looooong time ago.
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior & Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome belong to Warner & the DVD's are from Warner.

Mad Max belongs to MGM (Mad Max is from Orion Pictures. MGM owns the movies from Orion Pictures.). The Mad Max Special Edition DVD is from MGM. The older Mad Max DVD is from Image Entertainment.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior & Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome belong to Warner & the DVD's are from Warner.
I thought I read something recently involving Mad Max 4 that also mentioned how George Miller has pacted with 20th Century Fox to distribute future versions of Road Warrior, Thunderdome and the upcoming sequel. I could be mistaken.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I know a lot of you have started websites, lost sleep and chatted endlessly online in numerous forums as to whether I'll ever get Road Warrior in its present DVD incarnation. The answer is yes I finally bought the damn thing and for 10 bucks! :D So you know, the world can continue revolving now...

...and I expect an announcement any day of a Road Warrior collector's edition as a result of my purchase! :p)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks