What's new

"Road to Perditon" Reviews (1 Viewer)

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
Why do you guys care so much about the HBO making of? I personally find them mainly infuriating, because most of the time they amount to nothing more than the cast & crew patting each other on the back. If I was buying this DVD I'd definitely go for the one with DTS.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw the HBO making of featurette and it's not good enough to prevent me from buying the DTS version.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Well, I honestly am not one who can tell much difference between DD and DTS, so I'd rather get as many extras as possible as long as there's DD 5.1.

As for the HBO doc - I usually like them, even if they are fluff. They can be really good, such as "Into the Breach" (Saving Private Ryan).

And besides - even a subpar HBO doc relaying how great RtP is would help me forget that it was jacked over for Best Picture by the Academy. ;)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
So on the DTS version, you get both, 5.1 DD and DTS instead of the HBO "Making Of" featurette. I'm cool with that!

Crawdaddy

greg_t

Screenwriter
Sam,

If your dvd player has a bitrate analyzer, could you check the bitrate on the DTS soundtrack? According to a post on the AVS forum, the DTS is indeed full bitrate. This was confirmed on a french dts site. Link is below but the site is in french, I believe. Sam, if you have the capability, could you check to confirm this? Thanks.

http://www.dts-phile.com/main.php.

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
2 Questions:
1) How long is the RtP HBO Doc?

and

2) Has anyone compared the two sound mixes?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
When does this disc arrive?
I want to purchase the DTS version. HBO documentaries are fluff at best to me.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
If your dvd player has a bitrate analyzer, could you check the bitrate on the DTS soundtrack? According to a post on the AVS forum, the DTS is indeed full bitrate.
No I don’t have a DVD Player capable of that. I have something better, a computer! Having made my own personal Backup DVDs thanks to Lucas I know a little bit by experience how to calculate bitrates! I looked at 6 min 20 secs of the movie. The DTS track for that part is 34.1 MB and if you do the math it gives a bitrate of around 750 kbps. So no it’s not a full bitrate because if I remember correctly, a full bitrate of DTS is more than 1000 kbps. That site is wrong.

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
Also I finally saw the movie tonight for the first time. It’s powerful and Tom Hanks and Jude Law both are great. I never ever imagined in my life that Jude Law could play a role where he is awful-looking. He somehow is always good-looking in his movies but in this I thought he looked a lot different. I also have to add that I felt badly the missing documentary at the end of the movie! I wanted to see somthing about this movie. I don’t care for DTS. I prefer the documentaries and I will try not to make this mistake again.

CraigL

Screenwriter
I've seen this at two stores over the weekend here in NYC. I'm just shocked that there are separate 5.1/DTS versions when the DTS version has both. I don't know if that's ever happened before.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Why? I remember The Jurassic Park DTS which also had less extras.
The Jurassic Park and Lost World DTS DVDs only had DTS 5.1 (half-bitrate IIRC) and Dolby Surround.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 DVDs had all the extras remaining along with a French Dolby Surround track instead of DTS or English Dolby Surround.

I think the Road to Perdiiton DVD should've been a two-disc set. Widescreen with DD 5.1/DTS 5.1 on disc one, extras on disc two.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
I don’t think that the R2 is coming anytime soon.
the R2 and R4 versions are due early March. They only include the DD 5.1 track, but do have the HBO documentary, for what that's worth (not much, I'd say, going on the previous HBO featurettes I've seen).

Jay W

Supporting Actor
You've got to be kidding me right? DD 5.1 and DTS full bitrate tracks on the same disc?

I have to think someone at Dreamworks slipped up on this - no way I am touching this until I read some reviews as to the video quality on the DTS version. I really hope it's up to par, otherwise I'm taking the DD version. Perdition had a lot of scenes that would typically be difficult to compress on top of this, and I would be very dissapointed if they dropped the ball on the video.

PS: I just noticed the French 5.1 track on that menu too, ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks