"Road To Morocco" Question

Discussion in 'Movies' started by MichaelBA, Dec 13, 2005.

1. MichaelBA

MichaelBA Supporting Actor

In ROAD TO MOROCCO, at the beginning, when Hope and Crosby are stranded on the raft, Bing flips a coin to see who would eat each other. Hope's character doesn't get that that's what they flipped for. And Crosby's character begins to clue him in with this expression: "Well, junior, I've got a T.L. for ya."

What does "T.L." mean?

2. MichaelBA

After some research through the New York Public Library, I have answered my own question.

"T.L." stands for "trade last."

According to the Oxford English Dictionary:
    >>trade-last, 'U.S.', a compliment offered in exchange for one that is directed towards the speaker; also, in weakened sense, a compliment, whether reciprocal or not.>trade-last: n. 'Informal Older Use'. a compliment that one has heard and that one offers to tell the person so complimented under the condition that that person will first report a compliment made about oneself.
    Abbr.: T.L. [1890-95, 'Amer'.]

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

But Bing & Bob never compliment each other!

I don't know the answer, but I don't think tht is it. I'd rather think that it was just some informal slang, like using "B.S." How many years was that in use before it made it to a dictionary? How many slang terms never did?

Its got me thinking,though.

Glenn

4. MichaelBA

As I say, it seems like it's an ironic usage of "T.L" from Bing to Hope, since Bing is about to explain that Hope will make up a tasty meal, if need be.

5. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

I would have guessed "tough luck"