1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Road to Morocco - Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by t1g3r5fan, May 5, 2019.

1. t1g3r5fan

t1g3r5fan Supporting Actor
    Reviewer

Mychal Bowden
  2. Garysb

Garysb Producer

I thought "Road To Morocco " was the second not the third 'Road" movie. Great review. I bought all the Universal/Paramount "Road" movies during the last Kino sale.

SAhmed likes this.
  3. Message #3 of 7 May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 6, 2019
    JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    Spot on review! I just watched this gem again last night and this Kino release is the best it's ever looked on home video. A delight from start to finish with great songs as well. I would give Road to Utopia a slight edge for being the best in the series, but this is a close second for me. Highly recommended!

4. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Singapore,
    Zanzibar,

then Morocco

followed by Utopia, Rio, Bali, and Hong Kong

JoelA and Will Krupp like this.
  5. Message #5 of 7 May 5, 2019
    Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, that would be my order. I understand that the camel spitting at Bob Hope was the real unplanned thing, as was Crosby's laughing & comment, & they kept it all in.

In the early sixties, the BBC was going from 405 lines to 625 lines & in the daytime were doing some test transmissions, & the program they were using was Road To Morocco, you could get it on our little 405 b/w TV, but the picture was really snowy, & I can remember my mother telling me off for watching it with a towel over the TV & me so I could see it better, "you'll ruin your eyes", but I'm 68 now, & my eyes are still okay.

Like Webster's Dictionary...

Brent Reid, Johnny Angell and JoelA like this.
  6. filmnoirguy

filmnoirguy Stunt Coordinator

Lon Cross
    Agree. Road to Utopia is my favorite also. My dad saw it in a theater in 1945 and told me that the kicker at the end got the biggest laugh he'd ever heard at the movies.

Jack K and JoelA like this.
  7. Message #7 of 7 May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    I never noticed until I rewatched them in order the past few days, just how the formula evolved after the first two movies. Other than a mention of Paramount in Road to Singapore that could easily go by unnoticed if one didn't know it was a Paramount release, there's no breaking of the fourth wall until Road to Morocco. That of course became a staple of the franchise when they started doing it with this movie.

I think Bob Hope and Bing Crosby singing "We're Off on the Road to Morocco" is the highlight of all seven movies for me. Especially the part where they're singing about being under contract with Paramount for the next five years.

Hard to pick one great moment when this one alone has so many highlights, like when Bing starts talking about how the situation is going to be getting desperate soon as they float on their raft, and he breaks it to Bob that he might have to eat him in a week or so.

Todd Mattraw likes this.