What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
During the 1940’s, the “Road to…” franchise at Paramount Pictures could be counted on to provide great escapism as well as great entertainment value; not surprisingly, the success of these films helped to further establish Bing Crosby, Bob Hope and Dorothy Lamour as top draws at the box office. The third entry in the franchise, Road to Morocco, may be the greatest of all the Road films as its elements of music and slapstick are held in near perfect alignment. Kino, through their Studio Classics line, has given the film its debut on Blu-ray.

Road to Morocco (1942)

Released: 08 Apr 1943
Rated: Not Rated
Runtime: 82 min

Director: David Butler
Genre: Adventure, Comedy, Family, Musical, Romance

Cast: Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour, Anthony Quinn
Writer(s): Frank Butler (original screenplay), Don Hartman (original screenplay)...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I thought "Road To Morocco " was the second not the third 'Road" movie. Great review. I bought all the Universal/Paramount "Road" movies during the last Kino sale.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Spot on review! I just watched this gem again last night and this Kino release is the best it's ever looked on home video. A delight from start to finish with great songs as well. I would give Road to Utopia a slight edge for being the best in the series, but this is a close second for me. Highly recommended!

Last edited:

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Spot on review! I just watched this gem again last night and this Kino release is the best it's ever looked on home video. A delight from start to finish with great songs as well. I would give Road to Utopia a slight edge for being the best in the series, but this is a close second for me. Highly recommended.

Yup, that would be my order. I understand that the camel spitting at Bob Hope was the real unplanned thing, as was Crosby's laughing & comment, & they kept it all in.

In the early sixties, the BBC was going from 405 lines to 625 lines & in the daytime were doing some test transmissions, & the program they were using was Road To Morocco, you could get it on our little 405 b/w TV, but the picture was really snowy, & I can remember my mother telling me off for watching it with a towel over the TV & me so I could see it better, "you'll ruin your eyes", but I'm 68 now, & my eyes are still okay.

Like Webster's Dictionary...

Last edited:

filmnoirguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Lon Cross
Spot on review! I just watched this gem again last night and this Kino release is the best it's ever looked on home video. A delight from start to finish with great songs as well. I would give Road to Utopia a slight edge for being the best in the series, but this is a close second for me. Highly recommended!
Agree. Road to Utopia is my favorite also. My dad saw it in a theater in 1945 and told me that the kicker at the end got the biggest laugh he'd ever heard at the movies.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I never noticed until I rewatched them in order the past few days, just how the formula evolved after the first two movies. Other than a mention of Paramount in Road to Singapore that could easily go by unnoticed if one didn't know it was a Paramount release, there's no breaking of the fourth wall until Road to Morocco. That of course became a staple of the franchise when they started doing it with this movie.

I think Bob Hope and Bing Crosby singing "We're Off on the Road to Morocco" is the highlight of all seven movies for me. Especially the part where they're singing about being under contract with Paramount for the next five years.

Hard to pick one great moment when this one alone has so many highlights, like when Bing starts talking about how the situation is going to be getting desperate soon as they float on their raft, and he breaks it to Bob that he might have to eat him in a week or so.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks