Road House SE - Trivia Track is hilarious

Discussion in 'DVD' started by BrandonJF, Jul 19, 2006.

1. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

I urge anyone who bought/rented the new Road House SE to check out the trivia track. It is less a trivia track (although there is some actual trivia sprinkled throughout) and more of an MST3K-style riff on the movie. And it ends up being hilarious. Surprisingly, the trivia track ended up overshadowing the Smith/Mosier commentary, which I found to be "ok".

I turned the Smith/Mosier commentary on at the same time as the trivia track - I don't recommend that. Some of the jokes/punchlines in the trivia track depend on the movie audio.

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    "What if somebody calls my momma a whore?"

"Is she?"

3. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

"There's a sign above the urinal that says 'Don't eat the big white mint'".

I should probably pick this edition up and donate my old copy to the library.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Also, about the deleted scenes: Do they have the footage that was included in the theatrical trailer, but not in the movie itself?

4. David Owens

David Owens Agent

To BrandonJF:

Haven't seen the new RH disc yet to watch the trivia track, but just saw online that, MST3K's Mike Nelson has just started a new website called "RiffTrax" www.rifftrax.com, where for a nominal fee ($1.99 for the first movie), you can download a full length "MST" style comedic commentary MP3 to sync up in either your iPod/MP3 player or PC (or even burn to a CD) along with the actual movie for a "MST-style" experience.

Long story short, the first movie they riffed on is Road House. [​IMG] There's a brief clip (with the commentary) available for preview on the website, and it's pretty [​IMG]...a little jarring to hear the voice and not see the silhouttes in the corner. [​IMG]

5. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    its a great idea but it needs the other characters too.

6. Tan Ng

Tan Ng Stunt Coordinator

This new version doesn't even have a Dolby Digital 5.1 track. It has a Dolby surround at the highest compression 192kb produce the thin sound that I hate. Skip this DVD.

7. Much as I like RH, this is a tough sell as a double dip.

Slightly improved PQ and a couple extras isn't really enough for me to go through the trouble of selling off my old one and looking for a deal on the new one.

But none the less, I did perk-up when I saw this on the self and it sounds like people are having fun with it.

8. BrandonJF

BrandonJF Second Unit

It almost seemed like someone from MST3K wrote that "trivia" track. I didn't check the dvd credits to see if it listed who did write it, but it is worth the price of the disc alone. It was impressive to see comedic timing in a trivia track.

I never even noticed before, but they actually reuse the exact same shot twice in a small amount of time. The smart-a$$ trivia track said something like "You might be feeling a sense of deja vu .... since you just saw this EXACT same shot 1 minute and 29 seconds ago". (Not verbatim).

The track continually rags on Swayze - sometimes overlaying Joey Tribbiani acting tips from "Friends" over Swayze's scenes... or giving out direction via the trivia track prior to Swazye doing someth

I need to go check out that site - I won't be surprised if I find out Nelson wrote that track on the DVD. Thanks for the tip!

Edit - ok I did check out that site. I take it back. I'd be surprised if Nelson wrote the track on the DVD. That clip on the site was nowhere near as funny as the track on the DVD. Heck, Smith and Mosier did better than that. If that clip was supposed to be the sample that makes the sale.... ouch.

9. Richard Kim

Richard Kim Producer

Dolby Surround is the original theatrical soundrack, so 5.1 is unecessary.
    and it sounds pretty good to me.

The triva subtitle is absoultely a riot, BTW. I haven't listened to the Kevin Smith/Scott Mosier track, but I wonder if it was Smith who wrote the trivia track?

10. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    smith and mosier have a track on roadhouse?

11. George_W_K

George_W_K Screenwriter

George
    I wasn't interested in double dipping at all on this one until I read this thread. Thanks guys.

12. Brent M

Brent M Producer

Yup, and apparently it's hillarious. I can't wait to hear it. [​IMG]