1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Rms--peak

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve nn, Feb 17, 2002.

1. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

My sub has 250 RMS watts and 750 peak.Could someone explain that to me.I don't fully understand this function.I know I'm new to HT.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    RMS: Root Mean Square - The average measured power delivery for the amp during normal operation. When watching a movie or listening to music, there will be parts that are more demanding of an amp, so the 750w is the maximum that the sub's amp can produce under extreme load, for a very short period. I wouldn't worry too much about peak, but it sounds like a decent amp.

3. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

Thanks John

4. ling_w

ling_w Second Unit

Peak power is what companies usually design into their amp so it could handle music that has a rhythem or beat to it. Many amp designers build peak power capability in which it could sustain high load, either for 20ms or 200ms. 20ms is more common since those drum beats' peak sound pressure last for around that amount of time.

With classical/organ music or HT, where either the crescendo of a composition or the sub's mumbling rumbling last for seconds, it will usually drain the amp's peak power reserve.

Amplifiers' peak power capability are usually derived from energy storage in the capacitors and/or high voltage rails that switches on when required. Their power supply are not physically large enough to pump out 750w of continuous power, but that stored energy could be tapped from the reserve for short periods of time.

Your amp's 4.5dB of headroom could be determined by the mfg as the peak to avg ratio of music that has a bass rhythm in it, thereby allowing the amp to operate near its maximum power rating for the non-bass drum sections and reproduce the peaks at the same time.