RKO movies and TMC (missing in action?)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jun 30, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Where are the RKO Radio movies? Now that the great Kate Hepburn has passed on, I started looking (I am sure others have as well) for classics such as Bringing Up Baby, which is an RKO release.

I also noticed that Clash By Night which starred Barbara Stanwyck and Marilyn Monore, is also missing from action.

These and others are on VHS under the TCM banner so wonder why Warner hasn't released the RKO catalog on DVD yet?

Any ideas

2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Warner has stated that the elements for many of the RKO films are in terrible shape and are in need of major restoration. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those films released on dvd in 2004.

Crawdaddy

3. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

With all the studios buying each other's libraries, but not expanding their home video out-put facilites, most Black & White films have fallen to the bottom of the product list, as have alomst any film made prior to 1950. (The 40 year old and younger generations weren't born until the 1960's and they do most of the buying)So it will be a long time before many of these films are ever released on DVD (if at all)

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    WB seems to have tons of pre-1950 films planned. They've said many times that it all has to do with quality. If they need a restored source for Bringing Up Baby, the DVD won't happen until there is one.

Because of this method, most of Warner's classic film DVDs will be the only version needed on this format.

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

Citizen Kane was an RKO movie and it made it out.

6. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

7. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Maybe it did take 3 years to search out source materials and then restore them. But also keep in mind that the original negatives were destroyed in a fire during the 1970s so LDI had to rely on second generation sources and heavily on a PAL version found in Britain.

As for old B/W movies being at the bottom of the list yet Citizen Kane made it... you are talking on a different caliber here. Like comparing apples to oranges. Kane is the #1 movie according to the AFI so there was a special interest to begin with.

What irks me is that Warner seems to override the original film studio intros and would love for them to retain the RKO Radio tower beacon studio logo.

I also see some studios now digging into their older vaults and many new (old) B/W movies are coming out so one wonders why Warner hasn't studied RKO more?

And... if they have negatives to work with to release VHS versions, why can't the studios use the same negative to digitally restore and create a DVD when original film elements are so scarce?

Finally, I wonder if Warner ever made their money back on the restoration seeing that many of the "Baby Boomers" are not real fans of the classics?

8. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Lead Actor
    Supporter

Josh Steinberg
    Though I haven't seen it in quite a while, I remember the most recent VHS release of "Bringing Up Baby" to be of pretty good quality. Hopefully that's an indication that it won't be an impossible task to get a good DVD out. Though it's not Citizen Kane, Bringing Up Baby is an important (and hilarious) classic and deserves to be preserved and made avaliable to the public.

10. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Bringing Up Baby is one of my most-wanted-on-DVD classic films. I thought it was announced last year as a 2003 release? This is one I'm hoping they push to the front of their schedule.

11. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

Some other RKO films that should be on DVD (to name just a few):

Angel Face
    Crossfire
    Gunga Din
    The Informer
    Journey into Fear
    Lost Patrol, The
    Magnificent Ambersons, The
    Mighty Joe Young
    Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
    Murder My Sweet
    Narrow Margin, The
    Out of the Past
    Set-Up, The
    Stage Door
    Suspicion
    Sylvia Scarlett
    While the City Sleeps
    Window, The

Of course there's the Astaire/Rogers films, King Kong & the Val Lewton films but these are supposedly already being worked on by Warner.

12. Randy_M

Randy_M Supporting Actor

Randy Margolis
    I have a recent incarnation of the commercial VHS of Bringing Up Baby and it looks terrific.

I may be wrong, but I'm thinking that this source would make a fine DVD.

Also one of my most wanted titles.