What's new

RKO Lost & Found: DVD Releases After TCM Airings? (1 Viewer)

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Release date is December 8 (2008), according to TCM's website.

I placed my pre-order a few minutes ago. I ordered the box set.

Now I can say I participated in "cyber-Monday".

Added note: in some ways, this will be like a getting a 'bonus' pre-code set this year.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'm confused. Their website has two release dates. Which is the real one, December 8 or January 1?

-Rodney

Blake Comeaux

Stunt Coordinator
I just placed an order for the boxset as well. They've added a "Vault Collection" to the store category described as "a continuing line of rare and forgotten film releases" which makes me wonder what they have planned for the future. It also mentions that they will be produced in small quantities and available for a limited time. I don't know what their definitions of "small" and "limited" are, but until we know for sure I would urge anyone interested in this first batch titles to purchase them just in case.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I ordered this box set and I am so eager to receive it I actually paid for faster shipping which I NEVER do....but I have not received it yet.

Has anyone here received it yet?

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I called 'Movies Unlimited' on Wednesday. The rep said they were expecting to receive their supply on Friday (today), so shipments would begin on Friday and Saturday.

Strange, though: the rep said I should call back on Saturday to confirm shipment -- he seemed to doubt whether they would automatically notify by email.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
Sounds like your info was good. My credit card was charged today.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I received an email from Movies Unlimited, my order shipped from Philly yesterday! Woo-hoo! I am especially excited about Ann Harding and William Powell in Double Harness!

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I received the boxset yesterday. This is great, and to me well worth the price to have movies like A Man to Remember and Double Harness in my collection.

Thanks, TCM, and I hope that this is just the start of more great films in the new Vault Collection.

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tim Tucker
I got my set yesterday.

First of all, I was surprised and a little disappointed to find that these are burned discs. Not that I have a major problem with that, but it may explain how they are able to produce a limited number of these titles cost-effectively. However, I do wonder how stable they will be.

I also had an odd error. My DVD of Rafter Romance was printed with the label for Double Harness. Anyone else have a similar problem?

Other that that, it's an impressive set. A quick run through the six DVDs revealed fine transfers, and interesting extras. The movies are closed captioned, but not subtitled. The cover art is beautiful and striking. The slipcase is also designed and folded in such a manner that there are double layers of cardboard on all sides, making the slipcase sturdier than usual. The artwork and design on the case are as simple and elegant as the DVD covers.

Overall, I'm pleased, and can't wait to dig into it.

Marc^H

Agent
Just got my box set today.

I missed the TCM airings, so was excited to get this. Had no idea there were going to be lots of extras (trailers, stills, pressbooks, commentaries, interviews), so that was a nice surprise.

Immediately watched RAFTER ROMANCE, since I'm a pre-code junkie. What a great, sexy little comedy! The transfer was a beauty as well.

From the insert it looks like the "TCM VAULT" will be an ongoing DVD series (separate of their Warner "Spotlight" and "Archive" tie-ins) Here's hoping this slightly expensive set does good business, and we see even more attention given to rare and obscure titles in the future.

OH...by the way...the labels were correct on my discs...so the problem mentioned above must have been a fluke.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
If I were you I would back them up to images. There is lots of evidence now to suggest that burnt DVDs aren't as durable as pressed discs.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
This is why I hesitate to pick up this set - the titles are appealing but I have had playback problems with older DVD-Rs.

I hope that the powers that be realize that one can press real DVDs in lower print runs (as even many "grey-marketers" do).

Danny Burk

Second Unit

Same here - I was all set to order them until finding this out. Unfortunately, it's now a "no sale" unless they do a real print run, and I really dislike doing this because I wanted to support the release of obscure 30s films.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Rats, just placed an order for this box. Seems pricey for DVD-Rs but at least they're great quality. I'll just have to make backups and hope for the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks