What's new

RKO Logo Question (1 Viewer)

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
The other night I was watching Rancho Notorious on TCM which was photographed in Technicolor. The opening RKO Radio logo was in black and white. I thought that this was odd. I'm sure a color logo was created. Anyone have any insight into this?

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I don't know anything specifically about this title but when RKO films were sold to TV in the fifties all the RKO logos were removed from the films and replaced with C&C Films logo (Long story as to why this was). Anyway when the RKO logo was restored to this film, perhaps they just used a generic B&W RKO Logo. There were not many color RKO films.

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
From Leonard Maltin's website :

Here's a later version of the same logo, but Linwood let me in on a secret: RKO was too cheap to refilm the trademark in color, so he manufactured a makeshift color version using stencils.

The link above goes to a nice article on Linwood Dunn, and if you are an old movie buff and do not have a subscription to Movie Crazy, well, shame on you!

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
I have an old copy of The Unholy Wife (1957) which has the color logo - no SS overlay...

Herb.

Colton

Supporting Actor
For years, I have been looking for that RKO thunderbolt font. You would think with the gazillion true-type lettercases out there that someone would have made a RKO font.

- Colton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.