What's new

Rko 281 (1 Viewer)

ArthurFlew

Grip
How is this movie? and how is the DVD release?

I was talking about Citizen Kane with a friend and he mentioned this movie to me and showed me the DVD one day while at Borders.

Is it worth a blind buy?

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
I thought it was decent enough (I bought it from the $5 Wal-Mart Bin last year). Liev Schreiber was really good as Welles (IMO). Worth it if you can find it on the cheap end.

Andrew

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
Don't spend more than $5-6. A one time spin at most. The doc on disc 2 of Kane was much better than this lackluster drama. Spend your time on it instead.

ArthurFlew

Grip
thanks for the info. I will return the one i bought and rent it whenever I come around to it. Thanks again.

aRT

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I thought it was quite good myself, John Malkovich as screenwriter Mankiewicz turns in his usual great performance as does Liev Schreiber as Wells & particularly good is James Cromwell as Hearst.

I say get it.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
I dislike this movie -- somewhat strongly. Good performances, especially James Cromwell, but the screenplay seems preoccupied with tabloid elements -- drinking, boozing, screwing, dirty laundry (some of which is flat out made up). Something is wrong when you watch a movie about the attempt to destroy and suppress Citizen Kane and the person you have the most sympathy for is Hearst.

An enormous, wasted opportunity, and I'm glad Welles didn't live to see it.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg

It would be great if Peter Bogdanovich went through his archives and pasted together commentary tracks for Orson's films the way they have for select Disney releases. I'd rebuy Citizen Kane, Lady From Shanghai and Touch Of Evil all over again if that happened. (Heck, I'd buy Touch Of Evil if the two hour documentary about it that aired on cable was on the DVD)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks