Rives audio test disk.....

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by RyanJE, Jan 18, 2005.

1. RyanJE

RyanJE Second Unit

I have calibrated my speakers and sub with DVE. I calibrated my sub to about 85-87db to compensate for DVE. I was wondering if purchasing the Rives disk would add any value? I have the radio shack analog meter, i do not have an EQ and I will not get one either. What do you all think? Any users out there?

2. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Any test disc is a worth while purchase. Is it a must, certainly NOT especially if you never plan to use an pari-eq for your sub or possibly have to eq your speaks. This is rare, (but sub node problems) and phase can and are pretty reg problems for many rooms.

More than likely any room can use some help with it's sub in the bass region due to room induced peeks and nulls. Some rooms are not to bad and others no matter the subs placement are a nightmare.

======>
    The Rives Test CD#2 about 21.00 bucks and shipping threw their site.

It has correction built into it's test tones for the Analog Rat Shack Spl Meter. Goes from 20 to 20 and in 1/3 octave spacing. It contains a/some phase test/s I belive. Also on the disc it contains some MapleShade studio recordings which are consider to be some of the best put out recorded material out their.
    Their opnion not mine.
    =======>

Personaly all the Rives Test CD-2 has over some other discs is the RS-Spl Meter "correction factors" already built into the tones. Their are other better testing discs IMO.

Anyway:
    With a comprehensive test disc, (there are many out their), it will make it much easier to see what is actually happening with your system in your room at your listening position..

This along with how well your crossover/s are blending, speaker & sub response/FR, phasing issues, IMD test, etc. Different discs have a varity of different tests available to you.

The more you know how your system is actually operating threw it's complete FR along with other issues that can be tested, the more you might have wished you had left test discs alone..[​IMG]

Regards
    Geoff ¥

3. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

IMO, 99% of HT rooms probably could benefit from a parametric EQ on the sub, but peoples preferences for bass differ.

Using 1/3 octave tones to locate bass peak frequencies that cause the most problems is not ideal (i.e. it's not likely to locate the correct frequency), 1/6th to 1/12th octave (or even 1Hz) tones are much more suitable.

For a very rough idea of the speaker/room frequency response this test disk may be OK, but it certainly isn't very useful for bass frequency adjustments.

4. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Agreed Bruce.

1/3 spacing is not to good for bass work. 1/6 or better yet 1/12th octave spacing is needed to zero in on bass problems. thus allowing one to work the pari to it's fullest extent.

I like/prefer 1-Hz steps as you can zereo right in on where, how high or low, and the full width both ways of the room suck out or peek.

There are free places to burn test tones on the net if you care to do that instead of buying a tone disc. I don't have a link but others have posted many places to grab them.

I belive the "killer put together" ~{BFD Comprhensive Learning Site}~ has a link their for some...

Sorry don't have the BFD link..:b

Cheers