River of No Return Ratio

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ScottR, Apr 29, 2002.

1. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

I just read the review of the Marilyn Monroe film "The River of No Return" on DVDfile. I am sad to report that they found the aspect ratio to be incorrectly framed at 2.35:1 instead of 2.55:1. Why would FOX mess this one up after the extensive restoration performed on the film? I hope if it is indeed a mistake, they will eventually fix it.

2. Robert George

Robert George Screenwriter

I suggest not taking DVDfile's word as the final authority on this. I just looked at the disc and the framing is definitely wider than 2.35:1. I won't say it's exactly 2.55:1, but it isn't 2.35:1 either.

3. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

Obi, I understand...however, they said they did comparisons to an AMC copy of the film and that the dvd looks zoomed in, and loses info on the sides and the bottom. I hope they are wrong about the ratio.

4. ScottR

ScottR Cinematographer

More than one web site has now claimed that this DVD has indeed been cropped, and that the images are now cramped. Perhaps original elements did not exist for the restoration, but couldn't FOX at least let the consumer know why the film has been altered? That is what makes me more mad than anything. Studios don't feel that they have to let the consumer know why they have made decisions such as this. And it also pisses me off that restorations are wasted by lousy decisions. I'm sorry, but I'm upset about this, especially considering how much care went into the first MM set.