What's new

Rita Hayworth - Ultimate Collection from Mill Creek - 11/17/2020 (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
"This special-edition Blu-ray collection features 12 legendary films presented together for the first time in high definition!"

False advertising. Three were previously released in HD by Twilight Time and two by Mill Creek themselves. A factual statement would be "7 of which are presented for the first time in high definition"

edit: oops, even that’s not factual because of the 7 new to Blu-ray, 4 of them are available in HD for digital download! So by my count only 3 are “First time in high definition.”

Last edited:

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
"This special-edition Blu-ray collection features 12 legendary films presented together for the first time in high definition!"

False advertising. Three were previously released in HD by Twilight Time and two by Mill Creek themselves. A factual statement would be "7 of which are presented for the first time in high definition"
Not at all false. It's all in how you read the key phrase "presented together for the first time" which means this is the first time all of them are together in HD in the same package/set, not the first time they're in HD.

Marc Hampton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Tho not included here, the 3D Blu ray version of “Miss Sadie Thompson” from Twilight was wonderful ... we were really startled by the “rain storm in your living room” effect that occurred ...and Hayworth was MUCH better in that role than I had been led to believe. Im excited to get the rest of these titles now...

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
The "Rita Hayworth - The Ultimate Collection" blu-ray set is "currently unavailable" for pre-order on Amazon, and has 12 movies. However, the DVD set is available for pre-order, has different cover art, and says it has 16 movies. The extra four movies are:
1) Girls Can Play
2) Special Inspector
3) The Lady in Question
4) Angels Over Bradway

I wish those four were also available on the blu-ray set, but I suppose they don't have HD masters.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I am a little leery about this - too many good movies crammed into a single offering at an attractive price point, with only about half to have received some restoration work, and the others in desperate need of it. Did they receive ANY clean-up and correction before being slapped to disc here? Only time - and a purchase - will tell. Will hold my breath and hope for a miracle. Oh right, it's Mill Creek - masters at the art of too much disc compression.

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i agree. i'm buying this set strictly for the movies that are new to blu ray. i'll keep my fingers

crossed! Sony though, without much fanfare, have been releasing some great restorations

of their Hayworth titles. Twilight Times You'll Never Get Rich was spectacular.

Indicators The Lady From Shanghai was spectacular with great packaging. Eureka/ Masters

of Cinema Cover Girl was so spectacular it makes your jaw drop.

i did not expect to ever see the titles on this set on blu so i will jump for it!

and knowing me if they are released again by another company w better packaging &

extras i may buy again!!

Last edited:

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
also on the current Hayworth box set--
tonight_and_every_night_PDVD_02.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mill Creek is not all doom and gloom. There have been three different domestic disc versions of Lady From Shanghai, all based on the same 4K restoration from Sony, and only the Mill Creek version (the cheapest of the bunch, in fact) is technically correct. If Sony is providing Mill Creek with the masters, it should be just fine.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Mill Creek is not all doom and gloom. There have been three different domestic disc versions of Lady From Shanghai, all based on the same 4K restoration from Sony, and only the Mill Creek version (the cheapest of the bunch, in fact) is technically correct. If Sony is providing Mill Creek with the masters, it should be just fine.
Their DVD collections are lousy, as they cram too much onto a single disc, resulting in over-compressed messes, but their blu-rays have been fine for the most part.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I will say this about Mill Creek. In 2013 they release on dvd a excellent documentary The Prize, The Epic Quest for Oil, Money and Power which i still have the VHS tape box set. To my horror the dvd looked worse than the VHS tapes and i think the master used for the dvd came from bootleg VHS tape that was recorded in EP mode. Of all the dvd's i ever bought this dvd release is the worse and you were better off buying the video tapes instead.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
When you say that Cover Girl is jaw-dropping is that the Twilight Time release?

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It says region 2 but does it play on region A players? I know that sometimes though a region is specified in can play in a couple of different ones.
I saw that bluray.com had a disappointing review of the Twilight Time and I had seen an eyepopping print decades ago at the Regency in NY.

Last edited:

marcco00

Supporting Actor
Real Name
marc
i'm sure that eventually Cover Girl will be released again with this new transfer.

if you google 'cover girl 4k restoration' you can read articles on this restoration.

also you can youtube 'cover girl masters of cinema' to bring up the trailer to compare.

i don't have the twilight time disc, but i believe this restoration came afterwards.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
The Eureka!/Masters of Cinema version of Cover Girl is light years better than the Twilight Time version. It's a dual disc release, and
I can confirm that the DVD is region 2 NTSC, and the Blu Ray is region B. I just re-tested it to be sure - the Blu Ray will not play when my player is set to region A.

Yet another reason to go all-region.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
Well I'm glad I never got the Twilight Time. Just ordered the Eureka. Will now be buying an all region player. And I'll finally be able to see my Black Adder Christmas Carol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks