RISKY? Playing a receiver with speaker wire not connected to the speaker? I'll expl.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kyle_Y, Nov 27, 2001.

1. Kyle_Y

Kyle_Y Stunt Coordinator

I have two receivers, a Yamaha for stereo, and a Pioneer for HT(soon to be upgraded to something with pre-outs, most likely a Denon 2802 or 3802). Because my Pioneer does not have preouts, I just have my DVD's digital out hooked to my Pioneer and analog hooked to my Yamaha. When playing music, sometimes I use both, since my sub is hooked up through my Pioneer via LFE cable. All I do is switch the speaker wire at the speaker(I have two sets of wire to the front L/R, Pioneer -> speaker and Yamaha -> speaker, so when I switch between music and HT, I switch the wires). The only thing I am worried about is that will the Denon that I am going to buy see this as some sort of a short circuit or some sort of problem in the circuitry and cause it to go into protection? This is what I am ultimately trying to avoid, the thing going into protection mode. Has anyone with a Denon tried this, playing the receiver with the wires connected to the receiver but nbot to the speaker? Is this dangerous?

2. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    It is only dangerous if you touch the speaker wires together + to - or to the other receivers wires which by doing all this switching around it will eventually happen!

Wes

3. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

another question, if while switching the wire around and they did end up crossing would there be potential damage to the speakers as well as the receiver? and if there was damage to the speakers how could one test for this?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

When in doubt, subscribe to the KISS principle.

5. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Mark/Kyle: You can damage your receiver if while the power is on, the speaker wires connected to the red/black terminals touch each other (short). You will not damage your speakers.

If you are going to do this, I strongly suggest you run out and buy some of the dual-banana plugs with the solid spacer bar. They sell them at Radio Shack. You un-screw the plunger at the back to expose a side-hole. Insert wire and tighten. This will make a strong mechanical connnection and tend to prevent shorts. (Note: Dropping the dual-plugs onto something metal WILL cause a short).

You can now just plug/un-plug your speaker wires as needed.

A better choice would be a inexpensive "Speaker Selector" box. You can find mechanical ones for about $25. Just wire it up "backwards" because you dont have 1 receiver and multiple speakers: you have multiple receivers and 1 set of speakers.

6. Mark Dubbelboer

Mark Dubbelboer Screenwriter

Thanks Bob,
    Problem is i've already shorted the receiver [​IMG]
    i got it fixed and when i plugged my gear in the receiver instantly shorted again. the shop said their warranty wouldn't cover parts on this new repair job because it was probably my speakers that were at fault.
    I told the repair shop to shove it, and I was just scared that when I hook up my speakers to my new receiver it might blow up instantly due to "faulty speakers".
    thanks for your help
    mark