Risk damaging my system? Newbie question

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PeterK, Jan 16, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Hi I am new here. I just bought a new home theatre in a box panasonic SCHT 700 system. If I hook up 2 of these older speakers to the system to get more volume is there a chance that I could damage the speakers and/or receiver? I don't know much about the speakers. They say audioLogic in the top corner and they have a (approximate sizes) 6-7 in. 4 in. and 2-3 inch speaker inside them.

Thanks

2. David Judah

David Judah Screenwriter

I would look on the back of the speakers to see if they list a minimum wattage. If not, it's a risky proposition.

Welcome the the Forum, by the way.

DJ

3. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Do you mean connect the older speakers in addition to the speakers that came with your new system, or in place of them (for instance replacing the front L and R)?

If you mean in addition to the others, then as David said, it's a risky proposition. You'd risk overloading the amplifier section, although it likely has some circuitry to shut itself down before permanent damage is done.

If you mean to just replace a couple of the new speakers with some older ones, the key figure to note will be the impedance. This should be noted on the back of your old speakers, and will likely be somewhere between four and eight ohms. Then you just need to check on the back of your new system, at the speaker terminals (or failing that, in the owner's manual (!!!)), and verify that the minimum impedance is not lower than what's shown on the back of your speakers. As long as your older speakers have an impedance equal to or higher than what's shown on your system, you will be fine.

Aaron Gilbert

4. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I meant in addition to the present speakers. I looked but there isn't anything on the old speakers. No label or sticker, nothing!

Aaron: arent you just saying the opposite here. Maybe I am missinterpreting?