Rising blacks on 2020 LG OLEDs

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
I just sprung for and ordered an LG77GX OLED. This is.going to he the most expensive TV I have ever bought, so I want to make sure of something. The GX series uses the same panel and electronics as the CX. I've been reading that the CX has an issue with rising black level. Is that the case, because I would assume if that issue is affecting the CX series then it would be the same on the GX? If that is the case it probably isn't worth spending all that cash if the black levels aren't black, because that is the strongest point of OLED sets: absolute black. What is the story here? Does the problem exist or did LG fix it?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
We're Beta testers for CalMAN and LG's firmware updates. With the latest updates and proper calibration near black detail and raised blacks can be set to perform beautifully.

If you are not getting your 77" GX professionally calibrated, just install the next firmware update that will be available sometime in November and use the ISF Bright for daytime use and FILMMAKER for low ambient light viewing.

Reactions: Ashly Yeo

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for the reply. Unfortunately, professional calibration, beyond using the usual controls, isn't readily available in my area. I toyed, off and on, with idea of getting the software and calibration unit and doing it myself; however, there would be a learning curve and I'm not sure if it is worth the expense for doing one or two TV sets

The blacks looked okay to me when I was looking at the 65" version of the GX at the showroom. Not ideal conditions to be sure but it is what is. I'll rely on your assessment of the blacks on these sets.I think it should be fine.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Beautiful part of the world!

Use ISF Expert Bright for high ambient light viewing and FILMMAKER for nighttime use and you will enjoy excellent image quality and it will get better once LG releases the next firmware update that improves the raised black as well as other enhancements.

Reactions: Edwin-S

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
Yes. It is still a nice area even though the environment has taken a beating over the last few years with the Pine Beetle infestation and a couple of bad wildfire years. I'm not much of an outdoorsman, but for those that like to fish, hunt and camp the area is ideal. Drive for 30 minutes and you are.practically in the bush. Lots of lakes nearby: within an hour of driving.

Just not a lot of videophiles looking for that ultimate picture, so no local calibrator. :biggrin:
The last time I had a calibration done, I owned a 57" Toshiba rear projection TV. He worked at Future Shop (now Best Buy) and did calibrations on the side. He would even offer a free basic calibration with every set he sold and couldn't give them away.

He was charging me 350 bucks at the time. He must have worked on that set for more than 8 hours before he was satisfied. Man, I felt like I was cheating him for the amount of effort he put into it. I think I actually paid him a 100 or 150 more than he asked for. Maybe I was being a sucker to do that but it was almost painful watching him align the thing. He got it done though. Looked fantastic at the time. Used it until I replaced it with a Samsung 55" plasma.

Anyway, the set is supposed to be at the local store on Friday. I can't wait to see what that bad boy looks like on the wall and what it looks like when it is fired up.

Reactions: Robert_Zohn

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Hey Edwin did you get the set what's your opinion, mine is supposed to be coming 12/2

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
Hey Edwin did you get the set what's your opinion, mine is supposed to be coming 12/2
So far I'm satisfied with it. Part of the reason I bought it was due to it supporting Nvidia G-sync and AMD free sync cards for gaming. Unfortunately, I have not been able to test that side of it and, apparently, there is an issue with black levels changing with variable refresh rates that cannot be solved via software. VRR would affect gaming more than use for movies or TV, so anyone using it primarily for TV or movie viewing should be happy with the PQ. Since I have not been able to try anything that uses VRR, I do not know how badly the black level changes will affect PQ. Whenever I get a hold of a PS5 I will be able to see if VRR creates an issue.

The manual recommends two people for hanging the set on the wall mount. Frankly, three is better. They provide these little sticky tabs for aligning the set with the mounting bracket, but I found them utterly useless. It is easer and quicker to have a third person on a three step folding ladder look down from the top of the set and give directions which way to move to line the pins of the set up with the mount. I tried their method and it was a pain. I had the set aligned and mounted in a minute or two with a third person telling which direction to move.

Would have been nice if it had been a full 12-bit panel, rather than 10-bit; however, that is just because of the tech geek in me. A 12-bit panel would have supported the full 48GB/s bandwidth of HDMI 2.1. That would have allowed support for 144Hz refresh rate at 4:4:4. The 10-bit only allows for 144Hz @ 4:4:2. For practical purposes, though, it is immaterial.

Edwin-S

Senior HTF Member
Also, I should add. Installing the video cables that you are intending to use on the TV set before hanging it (assuming going with the wall mount) is a good idea. I didn't have HDMI 2.1 48GB/s HDMI cables on hand, so I went with older 2.0 cables, since I presently do not have anything that could take advantage of the 144 Hz refresh rate. I know that I'm going to have to replace at least one of the cables with a higher speed cable once I get a PS5 in place and I'm pretty sure it is going to be a pain in the butt to do it.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco