What's new

Riser question - 1st time DIY type person (1 Viewer)

Jerry_C

Auditioning
I need to build a riser in a new home theater going into our house, a 15' wide by 17' deep room, already fully carpeted. Questions:

If I pad and carpet the riser, would a 10" riser do or should I go to 12"?.

I've read threads where guys put insulation under the riser, what's the purpose of this? Would it hurt the carpet?

I am thinking that given the weight of the platform and the chairs, there would be little risk of the thing dancing around, will I need to attach it to the floor or rear and side walls?

Am planning on glueing and screwing, what grade plywood should be used?

Appreciate any and all help, Jerry

MikeGee

Second Unit
i wouldnt secure it to the floor, there shouldnt be any need to do so unless you are using balsa wood or somthing.
You dont have to worry about grades of plywood.
Get yourself a few 2x10 or 2x12 pieces of wood, build the frame and put a the plywood on top of it. Voila.
I'd use the 12" rise myself.

Thomas_A

Second Unit
I just did a 8x6 riser for my room ( 18x12 room) that was 8" tall. For me it was perfect. Once you sit on the furniture your lifted up even more. I only have 8ft celings so i had to be carefull with height. I use 2x6's and 3/4" MDF. I like the MDF better then Plywood cause its heaver and denser. I padded and carpeted the top..and just carpeted the sides.
BTW..I put the 3/4" MDF top and bottom and Ply filled the chambers. Very solid ...very quiet!. just an example.

Good luck.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jerry, I just did the same thing you are going to do. My room was already carpeted, and my 4'X6' riser just sits on the carpet. Believe me, when you feel the weight of it, you'll see why you don't need to secure it. I used 2X10's with 3/4" OSB for the top. There is no need to insulate it either(unless you will have a subwoofer on top of riser). Your riser height depends on whether you need to see over people in front of you. If not, it's just personal preference. And if you go higher than about 8", you'll need to have a step.

Jerry_C

Auditioning
just to say thanks guys for the help, I do have a row in front of me, given the size of our room and a desire to have four seats per row in two rows, I am hoping to be able to do the riser without a step. It's sounding like 2x10s with the 3/4' plywood plus padding + carpet may be sufficient.

Anyone else out there with suggestions? Thanks again . . .:)

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Jerry, I wouldn't do the riser without a step, 10" is too high. Plus it's against code(if you care). I used the "riser calculator" at AVSforum.com before I built mine, but it was off by about 3 inches. Luckily I did a mock layout with my front seats and rear seats first to determine my riser height. I set my front seat where it would go and had my son sit there(he's the tallest in our family). Then I kept propping up the rear seat while I sat in it, until I could see the whole screen over my son's head. Your riser height depends on how high your screen is from floor, the height of front row viewer's top of head, and height of rear row viewer's eyes. You may be able to go with a riser less than 10" tall.

Jerry_C

Auditioning
Jim, point taken, will rearrange the layout and add the step, have been trying to get as many details worked out so I can begin the thing immediately upon move-in but I think I am going to have to wait and do what you did vis the mockup ala the measure a bunch and cut once method. Thanks again

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Jerry. Just completed my 9x6 riser. Used 2x8 16" o.c. with 3/4 osb t&g. This will give you a 8" riser Add carpet and it's a little more. In order to get a little more height I also raised my tv. I built a 2x6 riser for it.(tempory until I get my new display) Don't forget to overhang the decking material an inch or so. You might want to add rope lighting under the lip. I took some pics and put them on my homepage if you want to take a look.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks