Riser building help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by AndyRM, Feb 17, 2004.

1. AndyRM

AndyRM Auditioning

I'm going to be building both a riser for one of my couches, and a stage for my TV and equipment up front. I will have my sub, rptv, amp rack and speakers on the stage. First of all, I have a nice hardwood floor first now, but plan to carpet the entire room. From my reading, most people either anchor the riser to the floor with silicone caulk or something like roofing felt to isolate it from vibrations. I am planning on filling the riser with sand to take care of some of the vibrations, but the problem is, I don't want to ruin the floors by putting caulk on them, and I think something like roofing felt would slide a lot on a hardwood floor. Will the riser rattle a lot if I just put the wood directly on the floor even if its filled with sand?

2. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

Andy, how big is the riser? I would NOT put 2x12's or whatever you are thinking of building the riser out of directly onto your hardwood...but would place down a 1/4" felt first...so you don't damage your nice floors! [​IMG] And depending on the size of the riser, the shear weight of a built riser will probably be enough to keep it in place without anchoring it down. Once the riser is built ontop of the felt...it won't slide...that's too much weight.

For the stage, I'd put down the felt, then buy some 30 mil plastic and place that directly over the felt...then fill the stage with sand. That way you protect the floor underneath. Make sure you get all the moisture out of the sand as well....so buy playsound that has been indoors and run a dehumidifier if you have one, before covering up the stage.

Let me know if I can help any further! Have fun.

3. AndyRM

AndyRM Auditioning

I talked to my electrician today about stuff for the stage. He said sand was going to be complete overkill for the stage and suggested expanding foam or insulation. I didn't think that would do enough with a subwoofer on the stage. I was thinking insulation might be fine for the risers with the couches on them though since there should't be to many vibrations there. How do I attatch the felt to the wood? Any special glue or something I should be using? Should I put felt on the top inbetween the 2x8s and the plywood top to reduce vibrations or is that pointless?

4. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

I would fill the stage underneath the subwoofer...at the minimum and fill the rest of the stage with insulation if you don't want to fill the entire stage with sand.

As for the felt underneath the riser...just place it directly down on the hardwood and build your riser ontop of it. Think of it as a large "mat" of sorts...no need to attach it to the wood or the floor, the weight of the riser will keep everything down.

5. Jason D.

Jason D. Agent

I will be doing a similar stage and riser in my basement, the difference is I will be building off of a concrete floor. I was just planning on nailing the stage to the concrete (via ramset nail gun) as I will be doing the framing. Since doing this will surely provide for a secure fastening, would I need to fill my stage with sand or insulation? Yes my front main speakers have powered 15" subs build into them (Def's 2000tl's)....but I imagine it would take a LOT to rattle the concrete slab or a stage fastened to it. Thoughts?

-Jason