What's new

E-bike buyers, owners and riders thread!!! (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
As a biker, it sounds like an interesting concept for the general public....Wonder how much the whole thing adds to the bike and also rotational weight?

jay

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
As an obese guy for life I've wanted something like this forever, something where I can use my own power for as much as I can and a device to back me up get me home through the rough stretches I just can't handle.I hope this really works. I have my doubts, but if it's the real deal I could see myself being an early adopter for sure.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That is cool. Although it seems from the comments that it's not the first gadget of its kind. Or maybe it's the first add-on for any bike, as opposed to a ready-made electric hybrid bike.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
As a cyclist, it is somewhat misleading as the audio says it turns your "ordinary bicycle" yet they show a bike with horizontal dropouts... Which if you are serious not every bike has. You kind of need to get a bike that is made for a singlespeed where you can move the rear wheel slightly fore and aft to get the chain tension right. Without a derailleur your only option is moving the wheel fore/aft.... Some bikes have them, many do not.

My 96 Lemond Zurich has them and I can run it as a singlespeed if I want to.. but all my other bikes are made for a derailleur. My new Salsa El Mariachi (MTB) has a special rear hanger that is somewhat movable...

I wonder if they can mount disc rotors on them too...

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jay H said:
... I wonder if they can mount disc rotors on them too... Jay
I thought the video said it uses regenerative braking, so conventional brakes would be counterproductive. But I don't know how effective the regen braking is, compared to disc brakes, when you really need to stop.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
I believe regenerative braking means that when braking, the kinetic energy is used to recharge the internal batteries, NOT that it replaces whatever brake mechnism it has.. I didn't look into it enough whether it uses a special hub for the motor to drive.

[edit] the video shows the white bikes have rim brakes [ end edit]

I think the website says it can be used with a derailleur but needs a bike with 135mm rear axle spacing which I believe is a standard for a MTB. For the motor to fit inside the rear axle AND have gears that are not internal, it would have to have enough width for the cassette and the motor.... The video they show shows the wheel being slid onto the bike and in the closeup, you don't see gears and you do see a bike designed for a single speed geared bike or IGH (internal gear hub)...

Jay

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Jay H said:
I believe regenerative braking means that when braking, the kinetic energy is used to recharge the internal batteries, NOT that it replaces whatever brake mechnism it has.. I didn't look into it enough whether it uses a special hub for the motor to drive.Jay
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/brakes/brake-types/regenerative-braking.htmIt's a balance. Regen braking works by turning the wheel into an generator, using the kinetic energy to charge the battery, and slow you down. Pure friction brake loses all the energy to heat. Pure regen apparently isn't effective enough at some speeds to be the sole brake.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Well that's been around for awhile. Some old bikes use that to power front lights simply by a little spindle rubbing against the wheel which induces current to be generated that powers lights. It slows the bike down and wears out tires left and right... The same concept can be designed inside the hub, but the old bikes would simply use the tire. Both will slow you down and both aren't meant as braking systems but typically they do rob power and hence help slow you down.

Jay

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Ouch. $1700 (plus delivery I'm assuming)? Cool lookng though.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And as a replacement for a $17,000+ car for a young urbanite it could be a bargain at twice the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks