Rise of Nations

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by James_Kiang, May 19, 2003.

1. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Rise of Nations feels quite a bit like a Civilization game. There is a major emphasis placed on building your cities and developing your nation along many paths (military, commercial, etc.). I don't really see how you could be very successful by just focusing on one front; for instance, in order to develop better military units you need the right structures which require advances in other areas which means you have to pursue knowledge and so on. I like this because it seems to diminish the power of the early rush - unless you really neglect to build an army, which is possible. There are also quite a few options of game types. There is online multiplayer (something I've never tried in previous similar games) but the solo game is quite robust. You can set up a world of any size with any number of opposing nations, play a scenario where you attempt to reach a specific goal, or play the Risk-style Conquer the World.

2. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

This game feels very much like "Civilization meets Age of Empires". Nice. [​IMG]

3. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

Yes, this game is really cool. The demo is a blast, gonna have to get the full one eventually. Comes out tomorrow (tuesday).

4. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Not that it matters anymore, but I've come across RoN for purchase at both Target and Best Buy stores in Southern California. Still, Circuit City seems to be the best deal - free $10 gift card with purchase. I believe CompUSA is selling the official guide for only $9.99.