What's new

Ripping mdf with circ. saw- WHICH FENCE GUIDE? (1 Viewer)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
The Boomer Bar Clamp guide is REALLY nice. No clamps to get in the way, and it clamps securely, ensuring no sliding while you're cutting.

The nice things about the other two guides, though, is that they can be mounted on a piece of masonite which is then trimmed (with the saw you intend to use) so that the trimmed edge of the masonite marks the exact line of the cut. This way, there's no measuring from where you want to cut to where you need to mount the guide - just put the masonite edge on the pencile mark, clamp, and cut.

Mattak

Stunt Coordinator
/me needs to pick up one of those

I used a generic aluminum straight edge when I built my box. Pretty big pain having to measure every time and then with the clamps getting in the way. Otherwise it was a great help and it would be nice to have one specialized for that task :D

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
I got one from Amazon that works like a charm, i forget the name of it, it came in 2-4-8 feet, the 4 foot one was around 60 bucks i think. clamps like a mofo. my only qualm, its a little tricky to get a prefect 90, but after some practice its really easy.

After looking at the formentioned ones its very very similar to that boomer blue one, it was a little tricky making my base but its rock solid and has very little play in it.

TimForman

Supporting Actor
I've used a design similar to the Boomer and was very pleased with it. If you don't have a table saw it's a great alternative. If you use a square along with it you can get reasonably accurate cuts.

LanceEAR

Agent
I'm going to try this out this weekend. Seems like it should work very well.

h t t p : / / members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

(sorry about the link - still can't post)

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Sawboards are great.....but I would use something stronger than a spring clamp to hold it in place.

Pete

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I used a circular saw with a sawboard to cut MDF for my arcade cabinet but after a few cuts I didn't bother with the sawboard anymore. Once you get started on a straight line the saw just keeps right on that line through the MDF. Must have something to do with the lack of any woodgrain to fight against.

Be sure to wear a mask and safety glasses and cut outside if possible as MDF dust is very fine and awfully hard to clean up.

perry web

Stunt Coordinator
I use a alum. sheetmetal wall stud clamped to the work piece for a straight edge guide. Get the heavy gauge one for pennies a foot. works great

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks