Ripping from EXTREMELY scratched CDs.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    After seeing the light, and relizing that AudioGrabber is not really that great of a program, I have switched to Exact Audio Copy (based on a recomendation from someone on this forum) for my ripping needs. The reason I am wanting to rip my CDs is because I have an AudioTron and I am still trying to get all my CDs (or at least the ones I listen to) onto my hard drive. The span of time covering my various posts here is a testament to the problems I've been having with this huge project. Any way, now I'm down to the last few problem CDs and some of them just wont rip. I'm not asking for a miracle solution. Some of them are scratched really badly, and some even have lable-side scratches. I have tried making copies of the disks first and then ripping the copy, with mixed results. I may have to try ripping some of them analog. I got a DiscDr. thing and that has helped some, but I'm wondering if you guys have any suggestions.

2. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Thanks for all the great suggestions. I am trying to rip in analog mode with AudioGrabber, and it is working as far as not locking up the PC, but I havent been able to hear the results yet. I'll let you know. Otherwise, I may have to go some of the other routes.

3. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

if you've got a Dremel tool, (or a friend who has one) you can use one of its soft wheels to get some of the deeper scratches out. Results may vary, and watch out because you can actually melt a hole in the CD. But I've gotten CDs and DVDs that were far beyond DiscDr's abilities to play with a little dremeling.

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

DiscDr is a scratch repair kit right? The one I have, made by Allsop, has a little tube of goop that I use to polish my scratched CDs/DVDs, and it seems to work well.

Is your EAC configured to use the CD-ROM's hardware error-correction features?

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

You can also try plastic polish, which you can pick up at any auto parts store. Runs about $6 for a little spray bottle.

Using the right drive can make a lot of difference as well. I rip with a Plextor 40X SCSI, and that drive does quick work of most CDs I encounter, save a few with bad surface blemishes.

6. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    A few updates. I can't rip in analog mode, it is too noisy and too quiet. I'm still having some problems with getting high enough quality MP3s (ie no glitchy pops) but my bigger issue now is that my computer is crashing alot when ripping audio. I'm not sure why and its getting pretty frustrating. I have a few CDs that I have on my hard drive that just have a few pops in the songs, so at one point I ripped them, now though, my computer is locking up when trying to re-rip those CDs. The other thing is, when it crashes (I am running XP and when the app crashes, I can usually recover by ending the app, but I can still see the service running and cant get it to end without rebooting), sometimes it locks the CD in the drive and I have to reboot.

7. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

What CD-ROM are you using? I had similar problems when I had the accursed Asus 52X CD-ROM in my computer. What a piece of utter garbage, causing my machine to hang and interfering with my CD-burning.

Is your CD-ROM on its own dedicated IDE cable? If not, sharing it with another device could cause problems when they decide to not play nice with each other!

8. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Well, I think I found a solution. I am running XP and NT, 2000, and XP dont natively use ASPI drivers, but they can if you want. I installed ASPI drivers and a rip that I have been working on for a few days went off without a hitch last night although it took a really long time. One thing to note, if you are going to try to do a rip by brute force (re-read everything til you get it) make sure your ripping program has the ability to let your CD-ROM drive coold down every so often. I use Exact audio copy and it allows this. Thanks for all the help.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Have you seen the Skipdoctor products? They actually grind/polish the discs until the scratches aren't a problem anymore. Never tried it myself but been sorely tempted to get one.
    http://www.digitalinnovations.com/

10. Charles J P

CJ Paul
    Kimmo, thats what I have. I think I called it a discDr. but that is exactly what I have. It works pretty slick but for some reason I think CD-Roms are more sensitive to scratches than regular CD players.

11. Henry Carmona

Henry Carmona Screenwriter

Henry Carmona
    Charles, thumbs up to using EAC!
    I had some problems before i purchased my Plextor 40x12x40 and am having a great time now [​IMG]
    i forgot, but i think you can turn off a feature in EAC to let it rip without having to check, or slow down when it encounters errors.
    And, as mentioned, you can always burn as a wav then just conver them to mp3 with EAC.
    What settings are you using for encoding?
    Which encoder?