What's new

Ripping CDs for iTunes on my new iMac (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I have run into a bit of a problem: I have several hundred "home-made" CDs that I've made or received over the past (almost) 15 years which have the paper labels on them with the track info. Unfortunately, the drive in my Mac gets REALLY fussy with those paper labels (like many car CD players do) and I don't want to ruin my drive, and I hate to lose all that music I accumulated over the years. Has anyone figured a way to import CDs with labels? Otherwise, I am looking at getting an external drive, but I want to make sure I am getting one that will be easy to install, Mac-compatible and will accept the paper labelled discs.

Thanks in advance from an iMac newbie!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Have you checked to see if you can force the CD import to run at only 1X (and not full speed e.g. 16X)? Reducing the speed would reduce the balance problems of poorly labeled CDs, reduce the stress on the drive mechanism, and possibly work better (if slower).

Also, if this is a longstanding problem, if you can get them ripped, do it as highest quality, lossless format, so you never have to do it again. In the future, you can then transcode the lossless ripped files into whatever you need for your iPod, etc.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I would just get an external drive. They aren't expensive. A simple way to go is get a housing and a Pioneer drive to put in it. NewEgg is a good source. I have a couple drives for capturing music so I don't subject the internal drive to excessive wear.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, John. Apple recommended NewEgg and the prices are pretty cheap, even for good name brands. Think that's the way I'll go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks