ripping cassette tapes using a walkman

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ThomasL, Aug 26, 2002.

1. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Hello all,

I have a few cassette tapes that I still own, mainly things that can't be found on CD and I only have a walkman to play 'em. Can I plug the walkman's headphone mini jack into the line in mini of the soundcard and if so, what software can I use to turn what is played into WAV files and then ultimately into encoded MP3s?

thanks,

--tom

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Any standard sound recorder will work. Even Windows Sound Recorder will do exactly that. You can then use something like CDEx (freeware) to convert the WAV file to MP3.

I recommend getting something like Easy CD Creator Platinum or some other tool that will not only convert for you but also provide cleaning functionality to remove tape hiss, boost bass, and so forth. If you do straight tape-to-WAV-to MP3, you probably won't be happy with the audio quality.

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

John, thanks for the response.

I currently use EAC + LAME to do my MP3 encoding. I have a Yamaha cd burner that came with a bunch of software including Nero which I use to burn CDs. It also came with MusicMatch Jukebox 7.0 which I have not installed. Is this something I could use to do the recording instead of Windows Sound Recorder which doesn't seem to have many options for the thing you pointed out such as hiss elimination, bass boost, etc. Audio quality is not top priority since I'd rather replace any cassettes I still want to listen to with CDs - this is just for a few cassettes that I know CDs do not exist for (e.g. local/independent artists before CDs became easy for them to produce and make)

cheers,

--tom

4. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I haven't used MusicMatch in a long time, so I don't know if they've included an equalizer. Most programs won't do the equalizer and hiss removal during recording, so you might as well use Sound Recorder to get the WAV files. You're generally expected to make the recording first, then run the WAV files through the equalizer to remove hissing, increase the bass, and so forth. I don't know of any that to it in real time, and I don't know that I'd want to anyway since a problem with the settings means having to re-record as opposed to just running the EQ against the WAV file again.