Ripped off by Dish Network Technician, need advice

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jeff_P, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Moderators, didnt think this belonged in TV forum becuase of the nature of the topic.

I just received my Dish Network bill for August and noticed two events that I did not purchase. Monsoon Wedding and a Boxing Event both billed on 08/05. I called DishNet to dispute this charge and was told by the customer service rep that this could have been from an old access card. I told her I upgraded my receiver in November but never order these events. After looking at the events she told me they were ordered on 11/16/2002. The same day my equipment was upgraded.

So what it seems to boil down to is that the so called dish network technician that came to my house left with my box and ordered himself up a movie and boxing fight that night thinking I would never notice the charges. Dish Network was nice enough(?) to credit my account but I feel more should be done to ensure this contracted company does not step foot in someone elses house.

I don't want to raise a stink but if they are theiving PPV events who's to say next time its not a watch from my bedroom dresser(if I decide to upgrade the receiver in there) or a few DVD's from my collection. I have been credited so I am happy but should I do more?

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

jeff:

call the company that sent the technician to do the upgrade and raise a stink with them. perhaps give them a copy of the invoice from when the work was done as well as a copy of your previous dish statement. couldn't hurt.

kevin t

3. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Hrm... well he would have had to activate the card before he installed you and ordered the event, then used the card in his receiver to watch the event, did he have time for this? when were the events? It sounds like some weird slip up to me and nothing more. I'm sure the tech knows plenty of better ways to rip off dishnet if he was so inclined.

I'm confused by the dates, the event was billed on 08/05 but ordered on 11/something?

4. James Edward

James Edward Supporting Actor

With DirecTV, and I'd bet Dish works similarly, if you don't have your phone line hooked up, you can still order 2 or 3 PPV events before the receiver or card locks you out. Those orders are stored in memory until a phone line is hooked up. They are then transmitted to the billing area.

I'd bet that somewhere in the above paragraph is your answer. Maybe the 'new' receiver or card was from a previous customer that had ordered events but did not pay for them due to the phone line issue...

At any rate, Monsoon Wedding and boxing is an interesting combo.

5. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Supporting Actor

6. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

The date the PPV events were ordered was 11/16/2002. The same day a technician was at my house to upgrade a DishNet receiver. The billing didnt occur till 8/5/2003 because DishNet just received the info from this card. So either a new customer has my old receiver and the info was uploaded to DishNet or the card was finally sent to DishNet.

Whats really gettting me is how DishNet insisted a technician had to come to hook this up. Now I have to screen my DishNet bill every month because of a shady contractor. If it was me illegally obtaining PPV events I am sure lawyers would be knocking down my door.

7. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

The pessimist in me says "be careful about trying to get someone fired that knows where you live"...

8. Grant B

Grant B Producer

9. Jeff_P

Jeff_P Stunt Coordinator

Everyone thanks for the input but I think I am just going to end this at my refund. But I am going to look at DirectTV service to see who has more for the money. When I first got Dishnetwork 5 years ago it seems they had more channels for your buck(besides the sports events).

10. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

11. Grant B

Grant B Producer

since you have the cable running to your dish etc; it would be simple to replace the dishnetwork stuff with directv yourself....directv will allow you to do that yourself.
    directv is easier to set up than dish too! All you need is a cheap compass.
    I have a sat finder if you think you need that. I'd let you borrow it for postage....but really all you need is a compass
    email me if you have questions on install etc
    good luck
    grant

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

BTW if you ever want HD... directv is the way to go
    Dish Pros- America's top 50 is cheaper thanany directv package
    Directv pros - HDTV package more channels, Better customer Service, easier install (dish has 2 sats you have to bring in with 1 lnb) also directv and Tivo has some deals if you look on their website
    Even I had directv while installing dish