What's new

RIP Verna Bloom (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
She passed away yesterday due to complications from dementia. She was 80.

Famous roles include the Sarah Belding, the hotel owner's wife seduced by Clint Eastwood in High Plains Drifter; Marion Wormer, the dean's wife who had a lot to say about cucumbers in Animal House; and Mary, mother of Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
TBH, her character was actually raped in High Plains Drifter by Clint Eastwood. May she R.I.P.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
TBH, her character was actually raped in High Plains Drifter by Clint Eastwood. May she R.I.P.
Mariana Hill's character was raped by Eastwood in High Plains Drifter.

Bloom's character, while violently coerced by Eastwood into the bedroom, got the upper hand on him and was ready to stab him with a sharp pair of scissors. Eastwood's character even tells her to go away, part of his belittlement of and scorn toward her and the entire town. She moves into to stab him, but is so overcome with his manliness... or whatever... that she lets go of the scissors and melts into him.

That movie has very fucked up ideas about sex and masculinity in general, but the two situations were very different from each other.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mariana Hill's character was raped by Eastwood in High Plains Drifter.

Bloom's character, while violently coerced by Eastwood into the bedroom, got the upper hand on him and was ready to stab him with a sharp pair of scissors. Eastwood's character even tells her to go away, part of his belittlement of and scorn toward her and the entire town. She moves into to stab him, but is so overcome with his manliness... or whatever... that she lets go of the scissors and melts into him.

That movie has very fucked up ideas about sex and masculinity in general, but the two situations were very different from each other.
To me, it's attempted rape as he forced her into his room and then overcame her with the scissors with more than his manliness. If that happened today, he would be prosecuted.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
To me, it's attempted rape as he forced her into his room and then overcame her with the scissors with more than his manliness. If that happened today, he would be prosecuted.
Oh, I definitely agree that it's an ugly scene and it only played out the way it did because Tidyman and Eastwood wanted it to. I just think the intention was entirely different than the earlier, even more horrific scene.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I definitely remember the Animal House role. I'll have to look for her in my next viewing of High Plains Drifter which has now been bumped up. R.I.P Verna.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WavyJawn
Recent bookmarks