What's new

RIP Sir Roger Moore (1 Viewer)

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
He was the Bond of my youth, and his has remained my favorite version of the character. In recent years I've also gotten to watch and enjoy many of his non-Bond projects, including the films The Man Who Haunted Himself and Crossplot among others, as well as TV's The Saint and The Persuaders!

And of course he was a highlight of Cannonball Run, where he showed his willingness to be completely silly and poke fun at himself.

R.I.P., Sir Roger. Thanks for providing so much entertainment that I will continue to enjoy for many years to come.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I would also suggest, seeing that this thread is an homage to Roger Moore and he just passed away, that it's not really an appropriate place to get into a discussion about who was the best Bond. Just my opinion.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would also suggest, seeing that this thread is an homage to Roger Moore and he just passed away, that it's not really an appropriate place to get into a discussion about who was the best Bond. Just IMO.
Perhaps you're right, but I'm not going to restrict posts unless they become offensive.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
Very saddened. He wasn't my favorite Bond actor, but I always appreciated his take on the role. Every chance I get in any general Bond discussion, I will always defend The Man with the Golden Gun to the death! It's among my short list of favorite Bond movies.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Very sorry to hear of the passing of Roger Moore. He and Sean Connery will always be my favorite Bonds. I always enjoyed Moore in his other movies too, like Ffolkes, The Wild Geese, and Cannonball Run, in which he wasn't afraid to laugh at himself.

I've read his books over the years, so there's a lot more to him than James Bond or The Saint. My Word Is My Bond is a great autobio; he's funny and had a very interesting life. He also wrote Bond On Bond, which is his book on the whole Bond series.

He did great work for UNICEF (Audrey Hepburn was a close friend) and his awareness campaign against foie gras was righteous.

Will always remember the summer (1983) that a friend and I watched all the Bond films on this new thing called home video. Great times.

Moore took big pieces of James Bond with him when he left the role. Never again would Bond have as much humor or class. Leading men in all types of movies could use more of that these days.

Live-and-Let-Die-Polo-Neck.jpg

He looked great in a tux, but it was this outfit from Live and Let Die that showed he could be serious about the spy business.

Good stuff Sam.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
http://www.cbc.ca/comedy/roger-moor...ent-full-of-cheeky-double-entendres-1.4127631

Roger Moore's Last Will and Testament. Roger Moore really was quite the card. He didn't even take the End too seriously. He really was quite the guy. Full respect to him.

Edit: I may have been snookered by CBC comedy writer. If that is the case, I may not be able to get the egg off very fast. CBC comedy has a habit of making up fake news bits that can seem plausible on the surface. They do it especially well on "This is That" radio show. I should have checked this more carefully before linking it.

Edit: Definitely got gulled by that. Feeling like an idiot right now. :lol:

Last edited:

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My first Bond film was "The Man with the Golden Gun". It has always been a sentimental favorite. I always enjoyed the humorous twinkle in his eyes that he displayed while he was Bond. Such a gentleman and an important part of my teenage years. So sorry to hear of his passing. RIP Sir Roger Moore.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
While IMO Connery's Bond films were for the most part far superior, Moore was the Bond of my youth and I always enjoyed his light, spirited take on the character, even when the overall movie got too silly.

The Spy Who Loved Me and For Your Eyes Only were the top of the Moore heap, for sure.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've had a busier than usual week and I haven't gotten as much movie watching time as I'd like - the last two nights I intended to watch a Roger Moore 007 movie and failed. I'm having a hard time deciding. I like him perhaps more than the films. Live And Let Die is, to me, dated in a way that's far more severe than most of the other films in the franchise; I really like Man With The Golden Gun; Spy Who Loves Me doesn't live up to its reputation in my book; Moonraker isn't a great movie but it is a fun one, possibly the Moore movie that I enjoy watching the most. From there, I think the 80s movies range from bad to unbearable; For Your Eyes Only is perhaps my pick for the worst 007 movie ever; Octopussy is terminally dull; and A View To A Kill is laughable, but somehow more watchable than For Your Eyes Only.

I realize I'm in a minority view, but somehow Man With The Golden Gun and Moonraker have become my top Roger Moore 007 films.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks