What's new

RIP Peter Fonda (1 Viewer)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
It was announced today that he died of respiratory failure related to lung cancer. He was 79.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/16/entertainment/peter-fonda-death-trnd/index.html

From Deadline:

Fonda’s death comes just past the 50th anniversary of the release of Easy Rider, which debuted on July 14, 1969. The film will be celebrated with a screening and concert set for Sept. 20 at New York’s Radio City Music Hall. The film, which starred Fonda, Dennis Hopper and Jack Nicholson, will be shown in sync with a live performance of its soundtrack. Expected to appear are Steppenwolf’s John Kay, who will perform Born To Be Wild, and Roger McGuinn, Others will appear under the music direction of T Bone Burnett.

Last edited:

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
He will live on forever as a constant clue/answer in NYT crossword puzzles (due to its letter content):

Fonda movie role/Ulee

He just might also be remembered for a movie role or two... ;)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Saw I guess his last interview for the CNN series The Movies 1960’s where he talked about Easy Rider. The Sony Channel has been showing it recently.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’ve always wanted to track down a copy of Idaho Transfer; I should renew those efforts.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
.....Dirty Mary Crazy Larry,.....
you know, I remembered this may have been the first of his I actually saw, just before OUtlaw Blues. at my aunts house. My aunt susan is just like me. she tried to tell me the end maybe wasn't the end as it looked. I always think of her when I see it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Fonda was an icon.

I was thinking about Easy Rider the other day, and how it was a counterculture masterpiece. Not necessarily a satisfying movie experience the way we’re used to, but it was showing and saying things that no one else was. It kicked open a lot of doors, and made rock music an essential part of movie making. It's hard to appreciate in our world of media saturation appealing to every possible segment of society how groundbreaking it was.
RIP Peter Fonda.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Easy Rider: iconoclastic and subversive in its day; very much of its time, which makes it kind of dated for me (who saw it when it opened and felt the earth tremble under me).
But Fonda was Gold in Ulee.
Another icon lost on the heels of Hauer.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
It still has arguably the coolest opening credits of any movie ever made.

Hopper waving his hands as the title comes up is perfection.

I think filmed at Ballarat west side of Death Valley, or Rhyolite in Nevada east side of Death Valley. Also Sunset Crater Arizona, and then crossing Colorado River at either Needles or Blythe, not sure which.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
As far as "Easy Rider" went, I guess you had to be there and stoned when it came out. I found the film to be terrible in general. However. there is no denying that the roles are considered iconic for the Hopper, Fonda and Nicholson. RIP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks