RIP: NVIDIA Soundstorm

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Max Leung, Oct 19, 2004.

1. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

According to this website:

*cries*

This is terrible! I don't want to go back to the stoneage, with 6 long analog audio cables snaking across the room into my receiver.

The only current solution with 5.1 realtime Dolby Digital 5.1 encoding on a PCI-Express platform is the Intel High Definition Audio solution...an unproven platform that uses the much more expensive Pentium 4 processor.

Looks like I'll be keeping my nForce2 motherboard for another 18 months of gaming...but I need to upgrade to an Athlon XP 3200+ (I hope my rev 1.4 Asus A7N8X Deluxe can handle it), replace my aging PC2700 DDR RAM, and get a new AGP videocard to replace my classic Geforce 4 Ti 4400.

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

3. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Reference to 3 dollar savings on each motherboard by omitting SoundStorm here:

http://techreport.com/ja.zz?comments=7246

If Creative can get away with charging $200 for a sound card, then they can pony up the cash and pay the Dolby licence and get 5.1 realtime encoding, can't they?

4. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Here is a review of a beta Intel High Definition Audio Dolby Digital capable board:

http://www.tomshardware.com/consumer...itions-07.html

As expected, there are driver shortcomings in Intel's implementation. Hopefully it will have the flexibility of NVIDIA's nVmixer software.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Another review of Intel's sound solution, with measurements taken from various motherboard implementations. Also includes a subjective listening review:

http://www.digit-life.com/articles2/...l-hdaudio.html

Interesting that it nearly matches the Soundblaster Audigy in the subjective test. That's pretty damn good for integrated audio...

6. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Thanks for the update. The Tom's Hardware article is over 2 months old and it's sad how little press or information there is on this subject. Just goes to show how small the HTPC market really is. [​IMG]

There is a guy at AVS expirementing with Intel's new chipset himself since no one else is. I see you replied to his (Li On's) thread, I bumped it up so maybe he could answer the question on games.

7. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

yes yer board will handle a 3200+ just fine.but I wouldnt be so hot tp jump on the pci-e bus unless yer gonna use SLI Agp 8X has way more bandwidth available than any card will use for a long while. While the death of Soundstorm aches me, it aint that hard to install a Creative card in there [​IMG] bummer that creatives drivers totally suck thou.

8. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Hmmm, I'm hearing from another forum that Intel's Dolby Digital Live solution is actually done in software. Crap, now I am confused!

I may need to get a new nforce2 motherboard anyways, as apparently my rev 1.4 Asus A7N8X Deluxe doesn't officially support 400 MHz FSB, unlike the version 2.0 one.

9. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Mike, so you're saying PCI Express isn't an improvement right now over AGP? Hmm, I think you are right - I recall looking at benchmarks and with the current highest-end cards, there isn't any real difference.

So maybe I should upgrade my CPU and RAM and card in preparation for Half-Life 2! But, I need cash, badly. [​IMG]

10. Mike Fassler

hehe Ive been playin CS:source for the last week and my system kicks it in the pants. HL2 may be different wont know until Nov 16th.

my rig

barton 2500 overclocked to 3200 speeds
    1 gig Corsair ddr400 pro
    radeon 9800 pro.
    Abit NF7-S rev 2.0 mobo

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

It should run well on HL2 too...I just ordered an Asus 9999GE (Gamer Edition) 6800 card. It's a vanilla 6800 with the GDDR3 RAM timings of a 6800 Ultra. [​IMG]

I only have an Athlon 2200+ oc'd to 2400+ with a measly 300MHz FSB. My Samsung PC2700 DIMMs can't actually do 333MHz for some dumb reason. [​IMG]

12. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Max, you need to play some Battlefield Vietnam with me so I can show you the way of the plantation knife [​IMG]

13. Mike Fassler

lol, those things are so fun to use.