What's new

RIP Michael Piller (1 Viewer)

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
For those who may not be familiar with the name, Michael Piller was involved with Star Trek: TNG in seasons 3-7, co-created Star Trek: DS9 and Star Trek: Voyager, and wrote the screenplay for Star Trek: Insurrection. He also created the UPN series Legend and the USA Network series The Dead Zone with his son Shawn Piller.

He lost his long battle with head and neck cancer early this morning at the age of 57.

http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=4...#4367aef1c40ac

R.I.P., Mr. Piller. We will miss you indeed. :frowning:

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
This is a tremendous loss to the Star Trek community.

There is not much question that TNG and DS9 would not have evolved into the enjoyable series that we remember without his creative assistance.

Our sincere condolences to his family.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I had no idea he was sick; he seemed to be busy lately, working on The Dead Zone for USA and Wildfire for ABC Family. He was arguably the third-most important figure behind the scenes of the Trek franchise.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
More than anybody, he was the guy who put Star Trek: TNG on the right track. He'll be missed.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow, stunning news. I never knew he was ill.

Piller was a huge talent. His influence on Star Trek was one of the most positive in the show's history.

Condolences to his family and friends.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Damn. I only really watched The Dead Zone by him, but that was enough to recognize what a tremendous loss that is. 57 - damn that's scary. My dad's only a couple years away from that.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I never knew he was sick, either, but in hindsight, his appearance in different interviews and whatnot should have been the tip-off. I just figured he wasn't the most photogenic person in the world; I never imagined he was sick. And I never thought we'd be hearing that name with RIP so soon. Way, way too young and talented.

He gave us some great and thought provoking entertainment. I feel like parts of my childhood are being taken away piece by piece. :frowning:

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Was very sad to see this news. I really enjoyed his work on DS9 and the Dead zone. he will be missed

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Sad indeed. Cancer is so endemic now adays. It seems everyone knows a family member or friend that has been impacted by this disease.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Mr. Piller was a great tallent and a gift to all of us that love Trek. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family in their time of great loss. Like everyone else I was shocked to hear that he was even sick.

Parker

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Wow, somehow I missed this news until I read it in TV Guide this morning. I agree that Michael helped save the Trek franchise. Does anyone remember how weak those first two seasons of TNG were? He will be missed.

Ric

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nesiancoco
Recent bookmarks