What's new

RIP Marlon Brando (1 Viewer)

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
We have lost a legend.

:frowning:

Last night, I was watching SOUTH PARK Season 4. The last episode I watched before going to bed was "Cartman Joins NAMBLA". Dr. Mephisto presides over the meeting of the other NAMBLA - National Association of Marlon Brando Look-Alikes.

The real MB will be sorely missed.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This is indeed sad, I hope he is at peace now.

:frowning:

"The son becomes the father and the father the son. This is all I...all I can send you, Kal-El."

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I may put my DVD of "Superman" on this weekend and remember him.

As you know, he filmed some scenes for "Superman II" which didn't appear in the film due to legal issues. Do you think they should appear in an SE of the film down the road?

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
RIP indeed, he gave several of the greatest performances in cinema history. Although he ballooned in his later years, it's certainly worth remembering how striking he looked when he started out. I once saw a photo of him and his sister in New York in the late '40s, not long before he came to Hollywood. He was in his early 20s at the time. It's a vivid memory, because he was so handsome that it was the one time I've ever seen an image of another man that almost took my breath away, in the same sort of way that Grace Kelly, Ava Gardner, etc can whenever I see them on-screen or in photographs.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Rest in peace, Mr. Brando.

I'm pretty sure Turner Classic Movies will have a Marlon Brando movie marathon very soon.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Heaven must be putting on a grand play tonight, and there is only one man who could play the lead role.

My heart is broken.

Real Name
Anthony
Very sad to hear about this. I still retained a vague hope that he might have pulled one last great performance out of the bag before he died. As fanciful as that may seem, remember that people had written him off by the beginning of the seventies when suddenly, in the space of a couple of years, he appeared in both THE GODFATHER and LAST TANGO IN PARIS, imo two of the greatest performances in the history of movie acting.

The man was a huge influence, in one way or another, on so many of the films we all love here at the HTF. I also think that - for all the talk about his eccentricities - the way he attempted to live his life in later years was incredibly sane and stands as a real example in the ludicrously celebrity-obsessed world we live in today. His obvious distaste for the way Hollywood portrayed the American Indian was derided at the time but I think it's due in no small part to his efforts that we'll never have to endure another film that attempts to make cheap entertainment out of that shameful act of genocide.

Brando will live forever, his movies playing on our DVDs and our HD-DVDs and our hologram headsets for centuries to come. The world, however, is less interesting without him in it.

Chris_Richard

Supporting Actor
Definitely sad news.

Netfix put On the Waterfront in the mail yesterday. So I'll celebrate his wonderful career with a rewatch this weekend.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
A remarkable man, a great actor and a very typical personality. He won't be forgotten soon.

To mention (only) three films in which I liked his performance so much... Julius Ceasar (as Marc Antony), One-Eyed Jacks (as Rio) and, of course, The Godfather.

May he, indeed, rest in peace.

Cees

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Death of a Hollywood legend. I was hoping it was a hoax too.
In his glory days he was untouchable, the best of the best.

RIP Mr.Brando.:frowning:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Another great actor has left us and the number of great ones has diminished greatly over the last couple of years.

Crawdaddy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I think one of his truly great performances that doesn't normally get a lot of attention was in The Young Lions, from the late '50s, where he played a conflicted German officer in WWII. It's basically a split-story, with Brando and the Germans in one part, along with Maximillian Schell in an outstanding performance as his commanding officer, and an American GI story focusing on Monty Clift, with Dean Martin in support. The American half of the story didn't interest me very much, kind of by-the-numbers and not all that compelling. But the German part, oh man, what a powerhouse. Brando was just magnificent in that role. Had the entire movie been focused on him (and Schell's character), I think it would have been one of the best movies of its time. Worth checking out if TCM includes it in a Brando tribute, which is a good possibility.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
The Godfather, Guys and Dolls, Superman, Apocalypse Now. I'll be spinning these discs today. When I called my wife and told her she said that Brando was one of those who you just expected to be around forever. RIP, Mr. Brando.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
Interestingly, Don Juan De Marco was the last DVD I rented via Netflix (don't know why..just had an urge to see a Brando film last week.) I had planned on watching it last night but now I will surely see it tonight.

I wish Paramount would release a quality version of One-Eyed Jacks on DVD (a GREAT Brando-directed film.) There is a thread in Studio/Manufacturer Feedback, if anyone would like to chime in:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=38505

Jeff

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
RIP Mr. Brando.

Brando was my favorite actor pretty much because I considered him the greatest of his field. His acting from STREETCAR to ON THE WATERFRONT were never touched throughout the decade and I still think the greatest performance captured on screen is in LAST TANGO IN PARIS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks